Intentionally Flipping Your Tort For Practice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

abclements

5 Year Member
Ok this is just something I thought about when reading another members story about his Red Foot flipping over in its water dish. But I'm curious what all your thoughts on this would be.

Would it be beneficial to intentionally flip your tort on its back and let it struggle and learn how to right itself?? (Of course with close supervision)

A little back story: In the article mentioned above, most members were advocating for a "flip proof" environment, but there was one member that suggested giving the tort things to climb on and possibly increase the risk of flipping because they need to learn to right themselves like they would have to in the wild.

Thoughts??

Ready... GO! :)

Disclaimer: Please keep the arguing to a minimum, I can see where this may possibly hit a few nerves, but I just want to get opinions on both sides. Thanks!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
In my opinion, it would be overly stressful, and may not even work. The chance of tortoises flipping seems slim from my experience on here, and if they are going to right themselves they need to have flipped on a spot where they have things they can leverage themselves on which may not be the case at time of flipping. I think if they are able to right themselves (things nearby to use to roll over) when the time comes, they will do it.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Mine would flip and I never would help, now when the flip over they can right them selves in almost any situation, I do believe the learn or build muscle to help the more they do it. Have I ever flipped mine to let the practice? No. But I never did help them unless they have up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I asked almost the exact question when I first joined two years ago. I was advised it was not a good thing, too stressful on the tortoise. My leopard has only flipped once and I flipped him back. I try to make his area as safe and flip proof as possible. I also try to make it where if he were to flip, he would possibly be able to catch a foot on something and flip himself. In the wild I would figure its easier to right themselves, as they would have a lot more plants, weeds, rocks, sticks, etc then most of us give them in an enclosure.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have never flipped for "turn over" practice and never will.

I have never seen my tortoises flipped on there backs either.

My school of thought has been to provide LOTS of plants to be good footing should they flip. All the plants would help them right themselves no problem. It has to be harder to flip right side up if you are just on flat dirt with nothing to grab hold of.

**In the past I would put them on their backs to weigh them, but now I put them upright on a cup. But this isn't really what you are asking about...

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I won't even flip mine over to measure.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Mine was the one that flipped in the water dish, he was very stressed afterwards. His habitat is now flip proof, and i do not recomend flipping them for.practice. i imagine it must be extremly terrifying for the little guy!!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
My mountain tortoises tend to flip a lot, but they also love to explore, both my box turtles and mt tortoises I've seen flipped into their dish both get out easy. I also have hills mounds wood etc to help

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not flip on purpose (not judging, just would not have thought to do that----)....I do not add things to the enclosures or yards because here in the desert a flipped tort in the summer is essentially a dead tortoise....so we don't play here....

I have come out to a flipped CDT with obvious sign as to what occurred and I will remove that obstacle or add something to the area to increase success on flip back over in the event of a roll over...and keep in mind all of the CDT here are adult males..so to find one flipped is kinda weird...but it does happen, hell---it happens in the wild as well....

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I'm sure it happens a lot in the wild, actually in the wild some species ram each other and flip each other, if they don't right themselves then it dies, cool tho

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No need to teach them something they already know how to do. A tortoise that has never flipped will right himself just fine if he is able to.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
While I advocate giving your tort the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them, I would never flip a tort deliberately. Part of the learning process is learn to flip back and part of it is learning not to flip in the first place. If your tort has learned not to flip over, even with appropriate climbing practice available, then it's done well :)

Joe used to flip himself regularly when he was small. Now he is a seasoned climber and can get up or down a step over 4 inches high... how else do you mount a sneak butting attack on someone sat innocently watching the tv when they think you are safely outside? He hardly ever flips these days as he has learned not to.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I like to throw mine up in the air to teach them to fly, but they don't seem to be able to learn this.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Yagyu - Maybe you forgot the cape?

Drew - The problem I see with intentionally flipping over a tortoise is that it could be perceived as a sign of aggression. When torts become aggressive or territorial, they'll sometimes ram each other and try to flip each other over as a display of dominance. As such, intentionally flipping your tort over could really stress it out.

That said, when I see a young tort flip itself, I don't come to the rescue right away. I'll give it a few minutes to let it try to flip itself back over. If it can't, then I'll help it out a little, but I try to let it do most of the work. I feel that flipping itself back over is good excercise and teaches the animal that with effort, it can flip itself back over on its own. After its safely right-side-up, I remove whatever obstacle caused the animal to flip over in the first place.

On a side note - I strongly recommend flip-proofing enclosures and not including any obstacles (including plants) in the homes of very young hatchlings. I've had a hatchling who flipped over on vegetation, landed in a warm spot, and ended up dying because I was not home at the time to help it out. Don't mean to bum anyone out, but its an important lesson learned the hard way. Vegetation in this case did not give him leverage to flip himself back over, it was actually the cause of him flipping in the first place. This is why I advocate flip-proof living spaces for flip-prone torts like young hatchlings.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
I like to throw mine up in the air to teach them to fly, but they don't seem to be able to learn this.

Lol xD

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

abclements

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Intentionally Flipping Your Tort For Practice??

yagyujubei said:

Haha well played!

Thanks for all of your posts. It has been fun reading through them all! Just as an fyi I have never intentionally flipped my tort nor was I ever planning on it. I was just very curious what y'all thought about it!

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
I'm on the side of not flipping them over. I am for the live and let learn take though. It's an instinct to try to right themselves I feel. I have a half log buried in my Greek's substrate. I watched her go over to the edge of it, check it out a few times, then precede to face plant off of it. Now she didn't flip herself, but she did have to go try it again. Ended the same way. Since that time, I have seen her stand on the edge of it and slowly turn around. I just built an outdoor space (check it out here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-72386.html ) for her that has a hide that she could walk off. The flipped over planter on the side with the cement block is what I'm talking about. I've watched her do the thing where she goes and thinks about climbing down it and she'll just turn and go down the hill instead. They're smart little creatures. That's why I'm for letting them learn by trial and error. It seems that they'll figure it out pretty quick and avoid anything that might put them in the same spot. She's probably 5-8 years old though. As for juvenile torts, I'm guessing it's not the same just because they're so curious. I've yet to handle a juvenile yet. I should in about 45 days or so though :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
mctlong,
Just to make sure I understood you correctly.. You prefer to keep hatchlings in an enclosure with no obstacles. No plants. Just substrate, water bowl and a hide?

Sorry you lost a baby by flipping on plants. Poor baby.

But if I did understand you correctly then I'd still say that the benefits of a heavy planted enclosure full of natural obstacles has enough benefits for me to keep it that way vs. the small possibility that the plants would cause flipping.
Just my opinion based on my experience so far.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

7oasty23

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:

Mine just doesn't flap his arms fast enough, I don't think his hearts in it. jk

Status
Not open for further replies.