Intro from Los Angeles

Aaron T

Location (City and/or State)
Casa Grande, AZ
  • Hello everyone! My name is Aaron and I am very happy I found this site. Just recently received a sulcata tortoise, Jericho, and was told he is about 15 years old, he's about 28" long. He stays outside and receives a lot of sunshine, however he does like to come inside the house to spend time around people. I am very new to this but super excited. I just want to ensure I do right by our new family member. I don't have a weight on him yet but he's pretty heavy. I appreciate all the info and tips on these wonderful animals. Only have had him for about a week, but look forward to having a pet for life!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
salutations
never has a day shine brighter or held more promise then the day you joined this forum. :)

Aaron T

Casa Grande, AZ
Hello and welcome! Down in San Pedro, a warm retreat will be very important. Do you have a heated night box yet? What are you feeding him?

Here are some night box examples:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
Thank you for the advice matter of fact a heated box is one of my first questions. As of right now I don't have it heated. I took a large rubber maid storage box and covered it with a thick blanket and then a large comforter over and around it, then wrapped 2 plastic tarps to protect it from the wind. At night when he goes in I cover the front of it with the panel but leave enough space for him to get it and out. For feeding, he grazes on our grass and so far I've fed him prickly pear cactus, kale, collard greens, romaine lettuce and bell pepper. Not being sure I sprinkled some calcium over one plate of food so far. I also picked up some Zoo Med tortoise pellets, sprinkled with water and he appeared to really like that as well
So I will begin on the heated enclosure because I know if it's cold out to me it's got to be cold out for this fella
So appreciate the info and all the tips!
Thank you! I'll post pics of him once I can

Aaron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Aaron!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome. Not sure how large your Sulcata is..... But they eat allot! If you can find some pesticide free grass he can graze on he would show you. Hahaha.
I have a 36lb one, and she also likes Orchard grass / Timothy hay mix. I got that from a farm supply in a bale. @Tom has good designs for a heated night box. But people have used sheds, greenhouses, deck boxes, etc.
insulation is important to keep it warm. And a heat source + way to monitor & control it
You can be inventive !

Aaron T

Casa Grande, AZ
Hello Aaron
Welcome to the TFO from AZ!
Hello Sir!
I thank you for the reply! I see you're from AZ, and I am in the process of retiring from the Air Force by the end of the year and we are moving back to AZ when I'm finished. Looking at living in the Casa Grande area and already trying to plan a good habitat for our Sully. Any advice is highly regarded. I've already received some really good ideas I want to put into action. I am a brand new tortoise owner and he's a big fella. From what I've heard a bigger one sounds a bit easier than hatchlings but I so want to do the right thing for him. I'm very excited and live to spend time with him. He's got some pyramiding already but doesn't look too bad. I was told he's 15 years old and he's about 28" (if I measured right, which may not be) but he's heavy I'd say around 60 lbs or so. Look forward to talking with you and again thank you for all information and insight!

Aaron

Aaron T

Casa Grande, AZ
Down there by the beach they can easily get a reparatory infection. Even in summer. Cold and damp is really bad for tortoises.

Here is a list of good foods:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Hi Tom
Say could I bring him inside for the night in an enclosure? Not sure if it would be the garage or our living room honestly but I'm thinking if it starts raining I need to bring him inside somehow. Any thoughts? I'm glad that you the Pedro area because yeah he doesn't come out until the marine layer has burned off completely which last few days hasn't been until about 11:30 in the morning
Again thank you for all the advice. Oh what's your thoughts on a cuddle bone for him? I have calcium with D3 that I can spindle on his food. I just don't know what's too much or too little. Again I am brand new to this and want to do right
Thanks

Aaron

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Sir!
I thank you for the reply! I see you're from AZ, and I am in the process of retiring from the Air Force by the end of the year and we are moving back to AZ when I'm finished. Looking at living in the Casa Grande area and already trying to plan a good habitat for our Sully. Any advice is highly regarded. I've already received some really good ideas I want to put into action. I am a brand new tortoise owner and he's a big fella. From what I've heard a bigger one sounds a bit easier than hatchlings but I so want to do the right thing for him. I'm very excited and live to spend time with him. He's got some pyramiding already but doesn't look too bad. I was told he's 15 years old and he's about 28" (if I measured right, which may not be) but he's heavy I'd say around 60 lbs or so. Look forward to talking with you and again thank you for all information and insight!

Aaron
Aaron
Phx. AZ is tort heaven we have hundreds of people that have scully's . Now I don't have any but I do have 22 leopards and many other torts .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom
Say could I bring him inside for the night in an enclosure? Not sure if it would be the garage or our living room honestly but I'm thinking if it starts raining I need to bring him inside somehow. Any thoughts? I'm glad that you the Pedro area because yeah he doesn't come out until the marine layer has burned off completely which last few days hasn't been until about 11:30 in the morning
Again thank you for all the advice. Oh what's your thoughts on a cuddle bone for him? I have calcium with D3 that I can spindle on his food. I just don't know what's too much or too little. Again I am brand new to this and want to do right
Thanks

Aaron

Bringing one that size in and out makes no sense to me. Building a heated box like the ones in the links will serve you well. They stay dry in the rain and warm in the cold. During the day you open the door and he can come and go as needed to eat and stay warm. At night and on rainy days, your box will simulate a burrow where he can stay warm, dry and secure.

If you are feeding the foods listed in that thread above, you should not need much calcium supplementation for an adult male. Its never a bad idea to leave some cuttle bone laying around.