Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi...joined this forum to learn all I can about being a tortoise mom. Haven't gotten my baby(ies) yet because I want to be prepared first. Live in Arizona, thinking about either sulcata or leopard. Suggestions? Have desert landscaping with cactus. Should I start out with an indoor habitat or build an outdoor one, or both? Help!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi DesertGrandma:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

If you plan to get a baby, then you will need an indoor plus an outdoor habitat.

Arizona has a great climate for both of the species you are interested in.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! :D Are you thinking baby babies or may be an older one, even an adult? I love Leopards for their beautiful shells, but of course they do lose a bit of that as they mature. I think sulcata have such awesome personalities, but are you ready for up to +100 lbs of determined stubbornness? I think the first thing I would think about as a possible elimination, is the adult size and the room that a sulcata needs beyond that of a Leopard. Another suggestion I make to folks is, if possible find somebody who has an adult of the species your thinking about. Spend a little time actually around the animals. Often I find people really have trouble accurately visualizing the size, weight, and strength of a tortoise. Which ever way you go (or even if you end up with another tortoise all together... such as the great suggestion of a desert tortoise, which happens to be the way I would go myself :cool:, I hope you keep us posted, show us lots of pictures, and have fun with us. :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum, arizona is awesome for both of the species you mentioned, we have quite a few arizona members with sulcatas who look fantastic. Make sure you take into size consideration for your future adult tortoise(s).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Those are my two favorite species! I love them both. Unless you are quite strong and burly, or have strong and burly help close by, I think a leopard would be more manageable in a yard type situation. They don't burrow and they are smaller and a lot less destructive. Sulcatas do tend to be more outgoing and personable though... Either species is likely to eat any cactus or other delectables that you allow them access to. I prefer to have some sort of enclosure so that I don't have to worry so much about the landscaping.

Either way, good luck and I hope it all goes great for you. Here are a couple of threads that might help before you get a tortoise.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1L8Sjs9pf
Look out for this one. Be careful who you buy from. Don't be afraid to ask some questions. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome#axzz1L8Sjs9pf

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have been lurking on the tortoise forum trying to learn as much as I can about raising a tortoise. Wow, you all have been busy posting! I live in the Phx. AZ area and have wanted a desert tortoise for a very long time. My yard is desert landscaped with cactus, yucca, and other stuff. After reading many many of your posts, I think I have decided on a leopard tort baby. Tried to adopt a mohave desert tortoise once but AZ wouldn't allow unless I had grass growing in my yard. I am willing to plant a patch in an enclosure, so maybe should give that another try? I have learned so much from the forum on care and raising, and on pitfalls too. Now need advice on a reputable dealer so I can be sure my baby has had the very best start, because I plan to have him/her for a lifetime. Thank you so much, Joy in AZ

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
oops i think it is called a 'sonoran' not mohave.??

Thanks everyone. Tom those two links you provided were awesome. I am ready to go out tomorrow and buy the stuff I need to get my indoor habitat ready for a new baby.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Sounds like your going to have a fun day tomorrow! So you have decided to find a Leopard hatchling?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hello and welcome. I am from Arizona too. I have found with all of my torts, hatchlings and up, that they love to graze so a patch of grass sounds great. I have baby Leopards, but Neal is probably closer to you, so I would pm him and see if he has any, as he has beautiful healthy babies too.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have read on the forum about lighting and am so confused. At this point, just setting up my habitat, I need to know about simple heat lamps. Don't think I will go for the UVB just yet, will take my baby outside with me often while it is summer. Please someone tell me simply what kind of heat lamp, thermastat and humidity gauge I should get and either the hardware store or the pet store. Please be specific. I am electrically challenged for sure, haha. My first box will be a flat plastic storage box with all the suggested items (cypress mulch, hide box, slate, rocks, water, spring mix, cuttle bone, regular soakings, etc.). I will gradually add edible plants, UVB light and perhaps build a cool condo, haha. Thanks again for your wonderful advice. Can't believe how much I have learned from reading on your forum for the last couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.