Introducing Sweet Pea, Gulf Coast Boxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
ba25cd56-a15a-4df3-9c3c-f766156e2a3e.jpg
This is Sweet Pea, the newest member to our family. I found him on the sidewalk and it looked like he just hatched out of the ground and somehow walked to where I found him. Well, I just couldn't leave him there, so...here he is emerging out from his hide. He didn't see me, but I saw him.
WP_000166.jpg

WP_000162.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I agree totally; however, I almost stepped on him when I saw him, and I was afraid that he was going to go into the street and get himself killed by a car. Couldn't let that happen.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Yea, I don't like his chances on the streets. I saved 6 turtles last summer that were crossing streets, and I rarely am on the road. One was upside-down on an extremely busy street in the rain. I took them to a local nature area.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
He's adorable!

Here in Louisiana, taking them from the wild is one of the only 2 LEGAL ways to acquire a box turtle (the other legal way is to be given one). It is completely ILLEGAL for us to buy, trade, barter etc ANY North American box turtles. I'm not saying this makes good conservation sense, and I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying that's how it is down here.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Gosh- that small and you can already tell he's a gulf coast box turtle? How do you tell? (I'm not challenging your judgement, I'm curious!) :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's my plan. I will place him near a pond away from roads. He's a gulf coast boxie because I looked up the types of box turtles in my area, and I saw a picture of one that looked exactly like him. It's legal to have 2 boxies, and it's illegal to sell or trade them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.