Introduction

Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire
I'm looking about for some plants I can put in there. I've done some trays that I can pop into the enclosure when they are grown I'm doing a few at a time because I understand they will just plough through them lol.

Attachments

• 20190319_141742.jpg
    20190319_141742.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20190319_141757.jpg
    20190319_141757.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
Exeter
I'm looking about for some plants I can put in there. I've done some trays that I can pop into the enclosure when they are grown I'm doing a few at a time because I understand they will just plough through them lol.
That's awesome. Yes your right you don't need it to cramped but a log is great. And when it's summer if your able to get a rabbit run for out doors then you can take tort outside for natural uv rays but still make sure one end is shaded. If your able to go outside in a vert top or t-shirt then it's warm enough for the tort to go out. And I'm glad I could help. I'm a new tort owner but I did an awful lot of research before I made my mind up whether I could give a tort what it needed. I had my set up weeks before I got houdini to be sure.

Hertfordshire
I really can't wait to get him outside I think he will LOVE it xx I've found a run I'm going to buy with a house at 1 end my nan used to have a tortoise and it's a pet I've always wanted a friend of mine is emigrating and knew I wanted 1 (I've been asking hubby for years) so she gave me the whole setup.

Exeter
Oh wow! Yes I can't wait to get mine out doors either. Mine has currently decided she's had enough today and has now gone to bed under log. I'm leaving lights on as she may reappear as it's to early for her to be I bed it's normally 5.30pm.

Your run sounds awesome but make sure it's got lid so cats and birds done get him.
I am so glad I have a tortoise as I've discovered they are slow boring creatures at all they are very funny at times

Hertfordshire
Oh wow! Yes I can't wait to get mine out doors either. Mine has currently decided she's had enough today and has now gone to bed under log. I'm leaving lights on as she may reappear as it's to early for her to be I bed it's normally 5.30pm.

Your run sounds awesome but make sure it's got lid so cats and birds done get him.
I am so glad I have a tortoise as I've discovered they are slow boring creatures at all they are very funny at times

My lights are on a timer and are on from 8am till 8pm. Think he just needs to get used to it as I'm not sure what time she turned lights on/off.
She fed him on kale for the 2 years she had him with a few weeds as a treat but I'm changing his diet and he seems to just be hungry all the time. I started by adding lambs lettuce and every couple of days I've started giving him a few dandelion leaves that have started to grow in my garden and today I brought some rosso lettuce for a change (he seemed to love it) What do you feed Houdini? X
My nan's used to just live in her house and wander about when she wanted to it was great.

Exeter
That sounds good. Normally houdini is up about 7 am and goes bed at 5.30pm. This is by self choice. I feed houdini on mixed lettuce from shop. It consists of chard, spinach, kale ( houdini's fave) and something else I can't recall. This is OK to give but I also feed dandelions, clover. Still testing the water with food so trial and error x

Hertfordshire
So am i I've downloaded tortoise table which lists lots of plants and weeds that are suitable and I've downloaded an app where I can take pics of flowers to identify them it's really helpful x

Hertfordshire
It's called The tortoise Table has an icon that's green with a white tortoise xx the other 1 is called Plant Finder or Picture This they are quite helpful and you can always Google things to be sure xx I've found LOADS of dandelion leaves at the bottom of my garden a moment ago so I guess that's his dinner sorted for tomorrow lol xx

Hertfordshire
It's called The tortoise Table has an icon that's green with a white tortoise xx the other 1 is called Plant Finder or Picture This they are quite helpful and you can always Google things to be sure xx I've found LOADS of dandelion leaves at the bottom of my garden a moment ago so I guess that's his dinner sorted for tomorrow lol xx

This is the outside run I'm going to buy xxx

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190319-164204_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190319-164204_eBay.jpg
    750.3 KB · Views: 9

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Hi

My sides are about 20 cm which gives me enough room to fill the bottom deep enough for houdini to dig a scrape which is what a tortoises nest is called or a cave. As long as yours can't climb out I'm sure it's fine. You can always use an old draw if you want to for a tortoise table. Some people have used an old vivarium and flipped it on its side and used that so that it's deeper. I have added a pic so you can see my lay out. Do t panic thou sounds like your doing a great job. Get some cuttlefish as they bite it and keeps their beaks sharp. Plus full of calcium
I really enjoyed reading through all of the comments on your post. Looks like both of you are working really hard to make the best lives for your tortoises. I wanted to give a suggestion for your enclosure. That rabbit pellet stuff is a bad idea. It molds easily when it gets wet. You can use the soil from your yard in the whole enclosure. I also mix in cypress mulch to help absorb water.

I also wanted to share what I did for my Russian outside. Pepe can live outside all year here. We have mild winters. I provided him lots of shade for the summer and many places to hide. In the winter he has a heated and insulated house. I know hibernation is more practical in your area.

I hope I’ve helped.

Attachments

• E0F87728-E926-4D40-85D9-7CAC070A9E6E.jpeg
    E0F87728-E926-4D40-85D9-7CAC070A9E6E.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 9
  • B7B3CB0A-234F-4744-A27F-66CD535A1828.jpeg
    B7B3CB0A-234F-4744-A27F-66CD535A1828.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • C64995FA-0EE6-4097-896D-541EA09B4D66.jpeg
    C64995FA-0EE6-4097-896D-541EA09B4D66.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
Exeter
Hi
Thank you for your advice, sadly the pellets were put in before I realised and was told otherwise. I shall be changing it when it's time for a clean out. Houdini seems happier on the soil if honest it's more natural and loves to dig. Pet shops clearly have no clue apart from making money from us. And yes I definitely am trying to make a gokd live for my living pebble lol

Hertfordshire
Hi x thanks
I think we have a problem with my new log!! I went in last night just before his lights go off and found him on his back and again today when I can home from work!? Any suggestions?? I will attach a pic.
Also I'm currently using coco coir & husk which I don't really like I'm thinking of changing to top soil but I only cleaned him out at the weekend so don't know if I should wait. I'm going to make something to put over the corners of enclosure so I can get substrate nice and deep but I have a wooden tortoise table and I'm worried it may cause it to rot xxx

Hertfordshire
I have lowered it since he fell off the 1st time xx

Attachments

• 20190320_150725.jpg
    20190320_150725.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20190320_150731.jpg
    20190320_150731.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 10
Exeter
Oh no that must have been very scary for you. I would have panicked if it was me. The log I have is curved and smooth. I have got a plank of wood leaning on it so houdini has a way up or down. I would make sure there is things about that will help your right it's self if it does it get into bother again. Husk is OK if you pick out all the bits are really dirty daily then you will be fine x

Exeter
And you xx
Hi
How's is everything with you? Have you managed to stop your tort from flipping over?
Well houdini seems to have made her own routine now. She does as she pleases when she pleases. And all of a sudden she has stopped climbing her log. She now eats, sleeps eats, sleeps dig, sleep, bask, paddle. I'm not sure what she is up to half the time. She's happy and is putting weight on slowly and growing well but not to fast. She still comes over to me if I'm near her table. Being new tortoise owner I'm not sure if her routine is a good one, but she seems happy enough to me x

Hertfordshire
Hi
How's is everything with you? Have you managed to stop your tort from flipping over?
Well houdini seems to have made her own routine now. She does as she pleases when she pleases. And all of a sudden she has stopped climbing her log. She now eats, sleeps eats, sleeps dig, sleep, bask, paddle. I'm not sure what she is up to half the time. She's happy and is putting weight on slowly and growing well but not to fast. She still comes over to me if I'm near her table. Being new tortoise owner I'm not sure if her routine is a good one, but she seems happy enough to me x

Hi x
I've taken the log out while I'm out at work as he did it again and it scares me so I pop a bridge in instead.
He hasn't been 'to bed' since I changed his bedding and substrate last weekend he just sleeps wherever he is when his lamps go off at 8 maybe he doesnt like it lol xx
I have him some dead nettle I found the other day he seemed to love it and also finding dandelions for him on my walk home he's been having 1 for the last 3 days as not many are flowering here yet xx

Exeter
Oh that's a shame you have had to do that. I'm sure your tortoise is happy enough. Though I was thinking... You can buy these bridges that your able to bend into shape. If you get one big enough to straddle the log then it might be OK. I have added pic of the log I bought from pet shop. It's smooth but I use bits of wood to help houdini get up or down. Maybe you could get a large enough cardboard tube and slightly submerge it in the substrate so tortoise can still use as bed. Houdini has made a nest in the log that's where she goes every night, and I. The morning she is already sat at the entrance waiting for me to turn light on.

Attachments

• DSC_0358.JPG
    DSC_0358.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 5