Is it okay to feed mealworms for redfoot babies

Location (City and/or State)
Chennai
I want to get some expert knowledge on whether we can feed mealworms to redfoot babies,
If i can feed, please provide more information on how many days per week we need to feed, and how many pieces of worms that we need to feed per tortoise.
Worms size i have is not more than 3 inches.

At present im feeding, mazuri pellets mixed with mulberry leaves, amaranthus leaves, little bit of grated carrot and yellow pumpkin.
Also in fruits i feed them papaya and apple, but they like to eat papaya more than apple and banana.
And some of the green bell peper, coriander leaves.

Is their anything i can add to their plates other than this where i can purchase in my local grocery shop.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Yes, invertebrates could be fed to redfoots. Whole animal protein contents is usually up to 10% of their diet (overall proteine intake about 20%). You can feed it once or twice a week. I think 3-4 large mealworms would be okay. Mazuri has high plant proteine contents, so you can offer it less often.

Other things to feed them: mushrooms, hibiscus leaves and flowers, chickory, mango, endive, bok choi, radiccio, young grape leaves and so on. Opuntia pads are a really good addition to the diet. In fact, almost any grocery store greens, fruit and vegetables can be fed. Just make sure you offer the variety of them, e.g. mustard greens are okay to feed, but should not be a "staple" food. Maybe the only exclusion is the citrus plants fruit and leaves. And grains and lentils should not be fed.
Also, as a proteine source low-fat meats and fish could be provided (shrimps, boiled chicken breast). However, in moderation - once a month or so.

Chennai
Hello! Yes, invertebrates could be fed to redfoots. Whole animal protein contents is usually up to 10% of their diet (overall proteine intake about 20%). You can feed it once or twice a week. I think 3-4 large mealworms would be okay. Mazuri has high plant proteine contents, so you can offer it less often.

Other things to feed them: mushrooms, hibiscus leaves and flowers, chickory, mango, endive, bok choi, radiccio, young grape leaves and so on. Opuntia pads are a really good addition to the diet. In fact, almost any grocery store greens, fruit and vegetables can be fed. Just make sure you offer the variety of them, e.g. mustard greens are okay to feed, but should not be a "staple" food. Maybe the only exclusion is the citrus plants fruit and leaves. And grains and lentils should not be fed.
Also, as a proteine source low-fat meats and fish could be provided (shrimps, boiled chicken breast). However, in moderation - once a month or so.
Great thanks,... i feed the mazuri pellet daily one pellets mixed with all leaves and fruits,.. and i forgot to mention that they dont like opuntia spineless cactus pads.
What i will do is monday, wednesday, friday and sunday i will feed one mazuri pellet and alternate with 1 or 2 mealworms.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, sounds fine.
My RF didn't like whole cactus pads at start, but have eaten them cut in thin stripes. And now eats them uncut. This is really nutritious thing and worth some efforts to introduce them into the diet.
Mushrooms can replace two "Mazuri days", as well.

Chennai
Yes, sounds fine.
My RF didn't like whole cactus pads at start, but have eaten them cut in thin stripes. And now eats them uncut. This is really nutritious thing and worth some efforts to introduce them into the diet.
Mushrooms can replace two "Mazuri days", as well.
I always had far scared part for using mushrooms even for myself,.im not sure how to identify if its edible or not,.. thought we get from grocery shops i still doubt to consume,. Any idea you can tell me how to identify if its edible ones.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I won't dare to feed wild grown mushrooms too :) In grocery stores you can usually find portobello, oyster and white mushrooms. They are all edible. Just wash them well before giving to tortoises.

Also, you can check the list of foods here: https://tortoiselibrary.com/nutrition-2/good-foods-list/ as well as nutritional plan for omnivores.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I want to get some expert knowledge on whether we can feed mealworms to redfoot babies,
If i can feed, please provide more information on how many days per week we need to feed, and how many pieces of worms that we need to feed per tortoise.
Worms size i have is not more than 3 inches.

At present im feeding, mazuri pellets mixed with mulberry leaves, amaranthus leaves, little bit of grated carrot and yellow pumpkin.
Also in fruits i feed them papaya and apple, but they like to eat papaya more than apple and banana.
And some of the green bell peper, coriander leaves.

Is their anything i can add to their plates other than this where i can purchase in my local grocery shop.
Occasional mealworms are okay, but not the best food. Crickets, roaches, earthworms, and others are better. I squish the heads of roaches or crickets as I offer them so the little turtles and tortoises can catch them.

You need more variety. More different leaves, weeds and leafy greens from the store.

.. and i forgot to mention that they dont like opuntia spineless cactus pads.
All new foods take time to introduce. Few tortoises will just walk up and start eating mouthfuls of an unfamiliar food. Opuntia is a great tortoise food and worth the time and effort to introduce it.

I always had far scared part for using mushrooms even for myself,.im not sure how to identify if its edible or not,.. thought we get from grocery shops i still doubt to consume,. Any idea you can tell me how to identify if its edible ones.
You are smart to skip wild mushrooms. Even mycologists have a tough time telling some of the highly toxic ones from the look-a-like harmless ones. You are safe to use the ones sold in the grocery store though.