is moss peat a good substrate

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello!
1. No peat moss, sphagnum moss and sand should be used.
2. No aspen bedding, rabbit pellets, newspapers, hay and straws or cat litter.
3. You can check garden centers, DIY stores and plant nurseries for orchid (fir, not pine) bark or coco coir (it's used in hydroponics as well).
4. The last resort could be the plain dirt from your garden (without pesticides, compost yard waste and small pebbles). Don't use store-bought soil - you can't be sure about bag contents (perlite, composted toxic plants, chemicals and such).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i am looking for a good substrate coco coir is not available in my area
What Alex said.

If you can't find orchid bark, cypress mulch or coco coir, then just use "clean" dirt from your yard. Keep any substrate lightly damp to reduce dust and keep humidity up. Do NOT let a star tortoise get cold at night with humidity, which means you need a CHE or A RHP set on a thermostat to keep temperatures above 80 degrees F (27C).

lord hesho

losiiwciw
th
Hello!
1. No peat moss, sphagnum moss and sand should be used.
2. No aspen bedding, rabbit pellets, newspapers, hay and straws or cat litter.
3. You can check garden centers, DIY stores and plant nurseries for orchid (fir, not pine) bark or coco coir (it's used in hydroponics as well).
4. The last resort could be the plain dirt from your garden (without pesticides, compost yard waste and small pebbles). Don't use store-bought soil - you can't be sure about bag contents (perlite, composted toxic plants, chemicals and such)
thankyou my local pet store owner recommended moss peat saying its best i was suspicious so i asked here thx

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
th

thankyou my local pet store owner recommended moss peat saying its best i was suspicious so i asked here thx
Pet stores often give the wrong advice. Peat moss is bad due to its acidity (if I'm not mistaken).

Don't hesitate to ask more if in doubt.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
th

Moss is FANTASTIC at holding moisture. Unfortunately it also gets eaten and can not be digested. The blockage can kill your tortoise