Is my baby's plastron alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
This is my new redfoot I am concerned about the black areas they are a bit rough but not soft..
Is it where her egg sack was? I have looked at countless pictures on here and I havnt' found anything similar..
Then there is those two round circles on either side they too are not soft..
Anyone with baby tortoise experience please let me know what you think!
I have only had her two days and she has been like this obviously since I got her she is on Sphag moss now..

Thankyou

IMG_4700-vi.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
sadly, I don't own redfoots, so I can't help you much, but I don't think its a normal plasteron. It could be completely harmless, but if the experts here can't tell you about it, a vet trip might be in order

M

Maggie Cummings

That's right where the egg sac was, you don't want any of that area to be soft, relax and enjoy her and stop looking for trouble as me old Ma used to say. She's eating and pooping and that's just what you want. I have 3 babies who's plastrons are so soft they feel like I could push my finger right thru them, yours is fine...

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
OMG I was going to stay up all night until someone answered...
There are soo few pictures of redfoot hatchling plastrons, younger than a year) I think I went through 90 pages on google images and there was nothing...
Thankyou, I was going to take her to the vet in under two weeks next pay check anyway but would have taken her sooner then I was thinking they would say there is nothing they could do and then i'd have to take her back and I'd never get over it....

Thank you Maggie THAT is definately what I wanted to hear.. I hope no one contradicts you..
I just want to know she's starting off on the right foot with me that I didnt' leave something untreated that could have been...
K will shut up and go to bed now..
nite xx

p.s that's just a bit of red leaf or something covering her one bit top right not a hole...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
very few people contradict maggie and live to talk about it :) J/K

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The plastron looks just fine to me too. :D

dmmj that made me chuckle. :D I seem to be one of the few that tempts fate all the time. :p and lives to tell the tale. :cool:

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shelli, I have to agree with maggie, dmmj and danny. She/he looks fine. The spot at the belly button (as I call it) my Greeks have it sometimes it just seems to pucker. Nothing to worry about. Now take a deep breath and know she seems fine. Just inspect her every now and then. Just for good measures. Congrats she really has a cute tummy. lol

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
maggie3fan said:
dmmj said:
very few people contradict maggie and live to talk about it :) J/K
And just you remember it!!!

No reason to.. at least this time!
36_1_12.gif

Terry K

Shelli said:
This is my new redfoot I am concerned about the black areas they are a bit rough but not soft..
Is it where her egg sack was? I have looked at countless pictures on here and I havnt' found anything similar..
Then there is those two round circles on either side they too are not soft..
Anyone with baby tortoise experience please let me know what you think!
I have only had her two days and she has been like this obviously since I got her she is on Sphag moss now..

Thankyou

IMG_4700-vi.jpg

Shelli I have reasons to believe that temps and humidity.. after coming out of the egg and during yolk-sac absorption.. play a key factor on how the 'seam' heals. Here's one of this years Brazilian's.. ( hatched 5/11 - pic taken 7/18 )..

Cherrybelly.jpg

Yours looks fine. Let me encourage you to allow your new one to grow up fine.. you have several years of experience here to help you - remember?

Terry K

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Thank you everyone and thank you Terry for the picture..
You'll be glad to hear I have moved on to something else to worry about now.. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.