Is my sully pyramiding? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPope

5 Year Member
She is 2 this June and is roughly 5 inches. She has a UVB light and basking area of 90. She also gets nutrobal on her food every 2 days. She can't go outside until good summer weather, I live in England and we only get maybe 4-5 months a year of good weather.
Is she doing ok in terms of shell??

Attachments

• image-2803588811.png
    image-2803588811.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 148

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
She does have some pyramiding, but its very minor and the newer growth looks more smooth than the older growth. Are you keeping her hot and humid?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
90 is on the low end for a Sulcatas basking temps also. I would raise the temp a bit.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
theelectraco said:
90 is on the low end for a Sulcatas basking temps also. I would raise the temp a bit.

Or more than a bit. 105F is a good temp to aim for for a basking spot, I set mine at 110. Also make sure you keep the humidity levels up.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Humidity, hydration, proper diet and exercise. Natural sunlight will help with Pyramiding...

theelectraco said:

You are mistaken....80 is the cool end for sulcatas...basking temps are 105-110
Please read up on sulcatas care if you do not own one before offering advise...

theelectraco

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Humidity, hydration, proper diet and exercise. Natural sunlight will help with Pyramiding...

theelectraco said:

I believe within my advise, I made the point that there basking temp was too low. I may have been vague but the point was made and if you can't comprehend that then maybe you should brush up on your common sense.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If she's indoors that much...you need a Mercury Vapor Bulb shining for 12 hours a day...and you need to keep her humid (at least 80%). Nighttime temps can't get below 80F. Soak her at least twice a day...30 minutes per session. Keep in mind, that you can put her outside for an hour or so...if the sun is out...regardless of temps...there's likely a hot spot somewhere in your yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pyramiding is minor and likely due to the low temps and slow growth. Mine hit 5" at about 6-7 months usually.

Your tortoise does need a warmer basking spot, but a warmer basking spot in an open topped enclosure will cause the carapace to dry out and pyramid more.

And Charmaine, I love you, but sunlight has nothing to do with pyramiding. You can raise one totally smooth completely indoors with no sunshine ever, or you can raise one pyramided, as I have done many times in the past, with hours of sunshine nearly every day. Pyramiding is a function of growth in conditions that are too dry. Sunshine is good for them and helps to prevent MBD, but its not a pyramiding preventer.

Christopher, you'll have to ask if you want some specific advice about this.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
ChristopherPope said:
I thought humidity and moisture could lead to shell rot?

Some tortoise species are more susceptible to shell rot than others. Sulcatas are not one of those species. Shell rot is very rare in sulcatas and when it does occur is generally associated with rotted, mildewy, stagnant water. Clean water is not going to bother a sulcata.

Humidity and moisture, when coupled with COLD temperatures can cause respiratory problems.

However, humidity/moisture and HOT temperatures is ideal and will lead to a happy, healthy, smooth sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ChristopherPope said:
I thought humidity and moisture could lead to shell rot?

That's what all the books, care sheets, vet, experts, breeders and Internet say. It's just dead wrong and based on incorrect assumptions. Start clicking away at the threads in my signature and I will prove otherwise for you. We now know better. Some people still have not caught up.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
theelectraco said:

I took it to mean that 90 is low for a basking spot, not ambient temps... I didn't think it was that complicated...

Status
Not open for further replies.