Is there any cheaper options?

ccc.hloe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Marietta Ga
So I'm only 13 years old and my birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. I own a bearded dragon, a hamster, and two dogs. Recently my aquatic turtle passed away. Not from any diseases or anything he was just really old. Ever since then I've wanted a Sulcata tortoise. I love animals and have done tons of research. The only problem is convincing my parents :( I think if I was able to pay for it myself they would agree to let me get one. I'm just wondering if there are any cheaper alternates for either food, bedding, lighting, etc. And if there isn't, how much on average would it cost to maintain every year?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
It is pretty expensive to own a tortoise. The tortoise itself isn't cheap. Then you have to make an enclosure. You can start out with a plastic tub, which isn't too expensive. You'll have to buy lights, substrate, a thermometer... Somewhere on here there is a thread where someone posted a shopping list of everything they would need for an enclosure. If you have a yard, you can collect weeds and grass, as long as it hasn't been sprayed, for food, so you can save money there. Sulcatas don't stay small for very long. Once your sulcata is big enough, you'll have to give it a secure outdoor enclosure with shelter and heat. Unless you have tools and knowledge of building, you might have to hire someone to help you.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If your parents aren't on board 100%, (and preferably actively involved) I don't think it's a good idea. If you do everything right, after a few years, a sulcata will need a large, secure/robust enclosure.

Have you thought about a smaller tortoise, like a Russian or Greek?

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Just remember that sulcatas grow very big. Just make sure you have the space. Feeding should be quite cheap, if they are outdoors they could graze on the grass and you could feed less.:D Good luck convincing your parents! Warm welcome to the forum by the way.

ccc.hloe

5 Year Member
Marietta Ga
If your parents aren't on board 100%, (and preferably actively involved) I don't think it's a good idea. If you do everything right, after a few years, a sulcata will need a large, secure/robust enclosure.

Have you thought about a smaller tortoise, like a Russian or Greek?

Yes. I looked into a bunch of different kinds but I really liked the Salcata. All my other pets also took a lot of convincing to parents. I know if I get it though I'm certainly going to make sure I take care of it. My old turtle tank is pretty big and I was going to use it as an indoor enclosure while its still a baby. Once it starts to grow I'm planning on changing my old vegetable garden area into a pen for the summer time. It has the wooden boards still to use as the actual pen and has a nice wired fence around it. (Ill still need a top for it though :D) I was just wondering if there were any tips or ideas on what to do once I get it?

ccc.hloe

5 Year Member
Marietta Ga
It is pretty expensive to own a tortoise. The tortoise itself isn't cheap. Then you have to make an enclosure. You can start out with a plastic tub, which isn't too expensive. You'll have to buy lights, substrate, a thermometer... Somewhere on here there is a thread where someone posted a shopping list of everything they would need for an enclosure. If you have a yard, you can collect weeds and grass, as long as it hasn't been sprayed, for food, so you can save money there. Sulcatas don't stay small for very long. Once your sulcata is big enough, you'll have to give it a secure outdoor enclosure with shelter and heat. Unless you have tools and knowledge of building, you might have to hire someone to help you.
Thank you and I'm working on how much stuff I need to buy for the tortoise and how much I can reuse form my turtle. I know there completely different but the uvb lighting is pretty much the same. I can also convert the tank into an indoor enclosure while its still a baby. When its bigger I'm planning on turning my old vegetable garden into an outdoor pen. The issue I'm having is that its all gonna cost A LOT of money.:confused:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have a question, do you plan on going to college in a few years and if so are your parents willing to care 4 it while you're at college? you can grow your own food that saves a Fortune right there.

ccc.hloe

5 Year Member
Marietta Ga
I have a question, do you plan on going to college in a few years and if so are your parents willing to care 4 it while you're at college? you can grow your own food that saves a Fortune right there.
Well I have a sister that's 5 years younger than me. I agreed that she could own part of the tortoise even though I know ill end up doing most of the work. I think she would watch it while I'm off at college along with my beardie. But if she ever falls through I'm sure my parents would agree to watch it; luckily Ill have a few more years until that argument ;). (Btw the college I want to go to is really close so I could come home every month or two.)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Thank you and I'm working on how much stuff I need to buy for the tortoise and how much I can reuse form my turtle. I know there completely different but the uvb lighting is pretty much the same. I can also convert the tank into an indoor enclosure while its still a baby. When its bigger I'm planning on turning my old vegetable garden into an outdoor pen. The issue I'm having is that its all gonna cost A LOT of money.:confused:

what about indoor housing in the colder months? if i were you i'd really consider another smaller species there are some that don't get as big but are just as awesome if you don't want a small tort like a russian or greek look into redfoot's they get a decent size without being monstrously huge my exact reason for getting one

your so young and life has a lot in store for you i'd honestly go with a smaller tort because they're easier to move around with even my redfoot. if you moved out of state with a full sulcata your gonna need a nice space to put him or a horse trailer and cost wise smaller species def has a advantage such as food doesn't eat as much, doesn't need as huge of a enclosure as a sulcata would eventually don't get me wrong they still need big but with sulcata's full grown they need some room and it has to be re enforced in case they decide they want out a wire fence simply won't work and if you did sides of wood you'd still ideally wanna dig down so they can't burrow out which they will do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What part of the country are you in?

Housing them correctly costs hundreds of dollars and even more in the wrong climate. Giant tortoises can rack up giant bills.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to be a downer, Chloe, but I think you should put your Sulcata want on hold until you have a job, or until you can convince your parents to help you pay to care for it.

Your water turtle aquarium isn't big enough. If you get a baby tortoise you'll need a large container, two light fixtures, UVB bulb ($50), night time heat (CHE), substrate, hiding place, feeding tile, waterer (plant saucer), plants (either real or fake) and food. It can get quite expensive to find food for a sulcata tortoise during the winter. And don't forget the monthly power bill. It costs a lot to keep your baby's lights and heat running all the time (He has to stay warm or he'll get sick and die).

Once he's big enough to live outside, you have to make sure your fences and gates are sturdy and safe. He can graze on the grass and weeds, but will still have to have a house where he can retreat to when it gets cold, which means more heat and power bills.

Even if you get a smaller species, you still have the monthly feed and power bills. Until you can get your folks on board to help pay for it, I think you should just scrap the idea.

yillt

Ĺ
So I'm only 13 years old and my birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. I own a bearded dragon, a hamster, and two dogs. Recently my aquatic turtle passed away. Not from any diseases or anything he was just really old. Ever since then I've wanted a Sulcata tortoise. I love animals and have done tons of research. The only problem is convincing my parents :( I think if I was able to pay for it myself they would agree to let me get one. I'm just wondering if there are any cheaper alternates for either food, bedding, lighting, etc. And if there isn't, how much on average would it cost to maintain every year?
Hello. I'm thirteen as well and i own my own little tortoise. First things first, im afraid a sulcata is not really a tortoise you should get if your paying for it all yourself. Smaller species would be more preferable u less you do loads of jobs to get some more money. I pay for everything but occasionally my parents chip in. I just kept Co vine them by persuading them by telling them all the good points.
.not smelly
.easy to care for
They are actually really cheap once you've got the initial things. I suggest maybe using some garden soil and baking it to disinfect it. This cheap. I love my tortoise and I'm so happy I got him. You will certainly be able to do it if you persuade them enough. Good luck

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There are many good reasons to not get a sulcata. There are good reasons to get one as well. The desire for having the pet, if strong, will solve all the other problems through 'doing what it takes' an attitude that seems a bit apparent in @ccc.hloe.

The thing is it is a big commitment. So all these other questions tend to not be as important as how much you will drive yourself to do what you need to do.

Getting on-line here and asking is a strong demonstration of that commitment.

No one wants to be the person who encourages you, then later find out you didn't follow-up, or push yourself.

I have had a few accumulations of tortoises over my life and given them up for one reason or another. The problem and virtue of a sulcata is there are many many of them, and if something should happen where you were not able to care for the tortoise, you would have a difficult time finding a reasonable good 'other' home.

It is alot of work if you are more or less leading the commitment and responsibility for having a pet tortoise. Sulcatas do get very big, most will get to be over 80/100 pounds, some will get much bigger. If your parents are willing to go along, there are many rescue animals available for adoption, but no rescue that would willing place the animal with a younger person if their parents aren't there overseeing the process, it might even be sorta a gray area of some law. Adults, for the most part, don't find the good intentions of a younger person to be the same as that younger person committing to an animal that will live for 50 plus years.

Tortoises are really cool animals. Have you considered other reptiles as pets? I think the number one best pet reptile is a bearded dragon. Just saying, might be a good alternative to consider

ccc.hloe

5 Year Member
Marietta Ga
What part of the country are you in?

Housing them correctly costs hundreds of dollars and even more in the wrong climate. Giant tortoises can rack up giant bills.
I live in Georgia so its already really hot out. This past winter still reached temperatures in the 70s.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm always for someone getting a tortoise. I would suggest getting a smaller, less destructive one. Then, when you are older, have your own place, you could then add a sulcata. Like Will said, the sulcata are harder to rehome if needed then most any other tortoise. This way, you will still have the joys of having a tortoise. By the time you are truly ready for a sulcata, you will know if it's really for you. Don't forget, Sulcatas can be very destructive. Plowing through, fencing, that was reinforced for them and owned by adults that have had the experience for years. Good luck. Really hope you will think this through thoroughly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Georgia so its already really hot out. This past winter still reached temperatures in the 70s.

How will you house a 32" 150 tortoise all winter long there? It needs to have temps in the 80 or 90s all year long. Who will pay to heat it and buy all that equipment and housing?

Crissabear

I'm new here and to tortoises. I'm getting a 6 year old sulcata from a young family member who got it when he was about 13. It was easy to keep when it was small but the costs are growing as the tortoise does, and this boy is about to graduate high school. He realized he is not caring for it as well as it should be cared for. He loves his tortoise and wanted it more than anything but life changes.

As for expenses, I am completely shocked. I'm an adult with a good job and I'm having a hard time swallowing the expense. By the time I get this guy set up with an indoor enclosure and an outdoor enclosure I'm going to have spent upwards of $300 and I know that estimate is bound to grow. If it were one of my kids wanting this tortoise and I didn't, there would be no way I would allow it. I've been wanting one since I was 19-20 years old so my kids are lucky.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't know why but I'm going to help you . This is how you can get your parents on board with you . You have to prove to them you can care for one . By doing a lot of research and taking notes . Show them you're willing to work for it . By doing house work or mowing the lawn . Start getting plants that tortoises can eat . Get your mother into hibiscus flowers and cactus gardens . Show them by studying in school . Show them how passionate you are about it . Have a plan for when you go to college in place because your tortoise will be around till you are old and gray . They aren't a ten year pet . They are a life long passion . I know if my sons prove to me on how passionate they are about something I'll break my back to make it happen . Good luck its not going to be easy .

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
If you decide to buy- look up @Lancecham for inexpensive healthy babies. I don't have any of his, but I'm dying for one with split scutes! I've heard A LOT of good about him and his animals. Do you have a UVB setup from your turtle? (I thought I heard you say that.) With a HUGE Rubbermaid tote and the turtles light set up, you could keep one a little cheaper for a little while?