Is this a death bowl?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's probably ok for a little while, but it really is too small for two turtles.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
That looks like the normal kidney bean turtle death bowls but made into a rectangular shape. If I were you I would try put something better together, like you can get a medium/big plastic container to make shift into a much better baby turtle enclosure. RES are very hardy turtles, so you should have time to make something else better for them. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A 125 gallon tank is 72x18x24" (183x46x61 cm).

I think that plastic one is too small. Like any other turtle, your RES need a place to haul out and bask. With something so small, your basking lamp will heat the whole enclosure up. You need something long enough so that you can have a basking area on one side, and still have enough space for them to get out of the warmer area. I recommend something at least 36" (91.44 cm) long even for babies.

Also, be aware that you should really separate these two now, and most likely will have to separate them in the near future. Pairs are a bad idea. I've seen RES literally ear each other apart. Groups are usually okay with enough space, but pairs seldom get along for very long.

JT23

Kowloon, Hong Kong
As the small tank do you refer to the green top one?If you are I changed it. I will use it to keep some random fish

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As the small tank do you refer to the green top one?If you are I changed it. I will use it to keep some random fish

I think both the green topped one and the one linked in the first post of this thread are too small. The only fish you could keep in the green topped one would be a betta.

JT23

Kowloon, Hong Kong
I put my new death bowl which is a rectangle instead of a bowl on my balcony. But it doesn't get too hot cause there is a roof on the balcony
They are able to bask though