Is this a northern cherry Hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
This little guy has marbeling on the bottom of his shell, black skin that clear mark on the side of his head only my cherrys have and that big nose... But a yellow head and small scales in his armpits and that classic diamond in the center of his plastron?
Also pretty sure its a he??? lol
004-6.jpg

002-6.jpg

005-7.jpg

What do you guys think?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I have never seen exclusive marbling like that before. I would say its still too young to definitely tell the sex.

Honestly unless you know for sure that one of the parents was a cherry and the other was a northern than there is no real way to say for sure its a "hybrid".

It is a waaay cool redfoot though! :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yes there are hybrids, as far as your little guy , I still believe it's a northern...Very nice one at that . One of my reasoning’s behind my input is I don’t see a large leg spur, which is another sign of " cherry heads" . I would agree the head shape (a matter I've wanted to bring to debate for awhile now....with all the so called experts and keepers...even from the 80's stories that go round and round in here. ) slender, stripe , ect ...dose resemble a cherry. I too have a northern who has a wild yellow marbling thru out her carapace. I myself have seen few if any in real life " marbled northerns" and would love to see more pics of unusual northerns out there. I might add the lil one is looking more female at this point...but still a wee bit small and sorta a funky camera angle when viewed online. ( no 3-d effect)) ....

Here is a " yellow" marbled Northern
F12.jpg

Thanks for sharing ....!
JD~:)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have lots of marbled northerns. Typically it occurs in the island breeds and central American redfoots. I have a costa rican that looks just like my Brazilian a Trinidad and Tobago that looks just like my Bolivian. I would say yours is a north eastern coastal or island type. Looks like my Trinidad a lot except mine has lots of marbling.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
I have lots of marbled northerns. Typically it occurs in the island breeds and central American redfoots. I have a costa rican that looks just like my Brazilian a Trinidad and Tobago that looks just like my Bolivian. I would say yours is a north eastern coastal or island type. Looks like my Trinidad a lot except mine has lots of marbling.

Let's see um! :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Gladly if I can get my damn router to stop going down. Errr I hate technology.

alright finally. the trinidad is the one with lots of spots on his head, the costa rican is the one that looks just like brazilian. weird huh how smaller different countries look real similiar to popular ones. I dont have any but ive seen some turks and cacos they looked just like a paraguayan almost black with a brazilian plastron.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
jeez this region issue is such a blur.... Ive seen maybe 10 oddballs in my life some ive posted on here and still its pretty much a guess one way or the other lol
Ive looked at all the maps and the diffrent characteristics between regions but at the end of the day its still a 50/50 because one of the items it would need to fall into that region is either missing or it has one extra....Like the nose or the armpit scale ect There arent alot of breeders up here and we cant really import them so there is no real way to track any redfoots roots.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep. It's almost the same qy down here. Either the ones I have that are known by breeders or I have the import documents. I've gotten pretty good at ID most of them. Yours could easily be a nicaraguan. How old is he? It seems the island and central American breeds stay pretty small. The Trinidad's and costa rican ones are 5 year old. Compared to my 5 year old Venezuelan or Guyanas they are tiny. Almost less than half the size actually.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
This one is 3 and a 1/2.... one of my for sure 4 year old northerns is a good 3" larger all around. I notice even diffrent shapes in the shell some of that may be attributed to age but some are round like a bowling ball and some are longer all females

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Unfortunately, some of the characteristics, like shell shape, can be developed through the cares and habitat. I really did not see anything on those photos that would make me think there was much 'Brazilian' blood in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.