Is This A Prolapse?

PeachyJamJams

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I wanted to confirm if this was a prolapse. My tortoise passed a urate stone about a month ago fairly small, then today had one way too big to pass after a long soak with warm water and oil mix we were able to squeeze it out from the back. Wanting to have some other opinions before I try to push what I see with a cotton swab. Have been soaking and using sugar and salt to reduce swelling and try to shrink the skin. To answer questions about prevention a hay/grass-fed diet and longer daily soaks have been implemented since the last occurrence. Before the stones urate and feces were very normal. ANY response is appreciated.

Attachments

• tempImage8MH0TA.png
    tempImage8MH0TA.png
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImagepCuL1n.png
    tempImagepCuL1n.png
    5 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageNirgdt.png
    tempImageNirgdt.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageOKpSQl.png
    tempImageOKpSQl.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageMzwYuv.png
    tempImageMzwYuv.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 1

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I wanted to confirm if this was a prolapse. My tortoise passed a urate stone about a month ago fairly small, then today had one way too big to pass after a long soak with warm water and oil mix we were able to squeeze it out from the back. Wanting to have some other opinions before I try to push what I see with a cotton swab. Have been soaking and using sugar and salt to reduce swelling and try to shrink the skin. To answer questions about prevention a hay/grass-fed diet and longer daily soaks have been implemented since the last occurrence. Before the stones urate and feces were very normal. ANY response is appreciated.
Looks like swelling to me. I'd continue with the warm soaks and maybe keep it on paper towel or newspaper for now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. The tissue's just swollen from having to pass the stone. You realize, right? that the stone happened because the little guy is dehydrated?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Yvonne's post
A prolapse is when it's penis comes out and he can't get it back in
You need to get this guy soaking for an hour each day in warm water. Spritz water into his food daily and feed some watery foods with his regular food. Romaine, cucumber, cactus pads.
That's a pretty big stone for the little guy.
How do you house him? Give every detail, temps, humidity, type of bulbs using, substrate, etc, every detail. Things have to be corrected so this doesn't keep happening.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like swelling to me. I'd continue with the warm soaks and maybe keep it on paper towel or newspaper for now.
Incase you didn't see it. A stone was being held by the tweezers. Not a prolapse yet, but without big improvements, it could become a prolapse.

PeachyJamJams

Houston
No. The tissue's just swollen from having to pass the stone. You realize, right? that the stone happened because the little guy is dehydrated?
Yes, which has got me stumped. I spray the enclosure multiple times a day and give two 30 - 60 minute bathes every day. The diet is grassland pellets that are soaked to be made soft with buk choy and collard greens every so often. Again, thank you for responding I really do care for it.

PeachyJamJams

Houston
I second Yvonne's post
A prolapse is when it's penis comes out and he can't get it back in
You need to get this guy soaking for an hour each day in warm water. Spritz water into his food daily and feed some watery foods with his regular food. Romaine, cucumber, cactus pads.
That's a pretty big stone for the little guy.
How do you house him? Give every detail, temps, humidity, type of bulbs using, substrate, etc, every detail. Things have to be corrected so this doesn't keep happening.
Thank you for responding, I do appreciate it. I do soak them every day for 30-60 minutes two times to be exact and soak their pellets in water before feeding. Active tortoise. I stopped giving cucumber because I read it had no nutritional value but did not take into account that it helps with passing things internally. I have attached a picture of the enclosure. The enclosure is not wet since the tortoise has been soaking basically all day.

Attachments

• tempImageRsOTIH.png
    tempImageRsOTIH.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 1

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Incase you didn't see it. A stone was being held by the tweezers. Not a prolapse yet, but without big improvements, it could become a prolapse.
Yeah i saw that. I was talking about the cloaca area is swollen from the stone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for responding, I do appreciate it. I do soak them every day for 30-60 minutes two times to be exact and soak their pellets in water before feeding. Active tortoise. I stopped giving cucumber because I read it had no nutritional value but did not take into account that it helps with passing things internally. I have attached a picture of the enclosure. The enclosure is not wet since the tortoise has been soaking basically all day.
What size is the enclosure?
Less collards and pellets and more natural foods if you can like mulberry leaf, cactus pads, rose of Sharon leaf and flower, hibiscus leaf and flower, dandelions. If you have to do grocery greens do more escarole, endive, arugula, riddichio, even dandelions are sold in stores.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah i saw that. I was talking about the cloaca area is swollen from the stone.
When I first seen it my mouth drop. I thought they had the penis in the tweezers, yikes, had to take a double take and then I could breathe lol.
Darn phone sometimes is just too small.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello, I’m noticing your bulbs appear to be shining through the glass/plexiglass top you have there, is that right or is it just the photo? What is your lighting/heating set up? Do you use indoor uv? I can’t necessarily advise a whole bunch here but it might be useful for the other members to know🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Oh and could you include your temperatures(basking temp, overall day temp, night temp)and your humidity levels?😊if you have packaging pics for the bulbs or anything that’d be great too!