is this a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I wouldn't say a scam per se. He is over charging I think for those tortoises, but that is only my opinion. I am unsure to what vertical scute he is referring to, I only sort of see one big bump in the front of the shell. Though for someone who has been raising them for 25 years I did laugh at some of his info, especially the ratio of tortoises that can't transition to outdoor enclosures.

Deac77

5 Year Member
See I thought that was funny too to me it just looks like a pyramiding tort

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What's the reference that is escape me now...?

Something about polishing a turd....

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It's just marketing, turning a negative into a positive. He's pointing out what some might consider undesirable and putting a positive spin to it.

Vincentdhr

5 Year Member
There are some Aldabras in the background of the first picture!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I think more than one person one this forum can vouch for Sam Pascucci.......Just because one keeper thinks different than the other doesn't mean too much.......

zulu

5 Year Member
Melbourne, FL
I have been to Sam's myself and think he does care about his animals as much as any of us. Everyone has a slightly different way of taking care of them but I do think they are very healthy torts. And he does have many more years of experience than most of us on this forum.

The "vaulting" he refers to has nothing to do with the pyramiding you see. He is referring to the general shape of the shell, which slopes down in the front. This shape is more prominent on some torts regardless of pyramiding. He just thinks it makes them look more "tank" like, something he likes to see in a tort personally. Just like many people like a split scute and others see them as an imperfection.

Also remember that with everything we learn on this forum it still is not easy for anyone to raise a completely smooth tort, even some of the members we consider experts are still experimenting with ways to achieve this.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
My interactions with Sam have all been positive and some of his special stock is also more legitimate than some others who claim to offer similar stock (without evidence of line...even one supporting photograph).

Regarding "vaulted" first vertebrals, I see this commonly enough. It is not a flaw, but simply a variation. It occurs in pyramided and non-pyramided animals alike and occurs in sulcatas as well as other species, although I see it most commonly in sulcatas.

I do not see the basis of evidence some folks would need in order to make certain conclusions I see being stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.