1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Is this heat/light arrangement wrong?

Discussion in 'Redfoot and yellowfoot tortoises' started by dwright27, Mar 7, 2018.

1. dwright27

dwright27 Active Member 5 Year Member

I've got the CHE over the hide.. A regular incandescent in the middle (above the water) and the strip light between the middle and the right. I'm wondering if I should just fill in where the guy made a place for the water and put it on the right hand side instead..?

20180307_073815.jpg
  2. dwright27

dwright27 Active Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Bump! Also this is what the night temp and humidity is, if I turn everything off. Tortoise isn't in there yet bc I want to make sure it's right. The "out" temp is the inside of the hide. 20180316_232532.jpg
  3. Anyfoot

Anyfoot Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    UK Sheffield
    I need to know the enclosure size to help with heating and lighting. Looks nice.
  4. Ghazan

Ghazan Member

needs to be 80f at night
  5. Madkins007

Madkins007 Well-Known Member Moderator 10 Year Member!

Location (City and/or State):
    Nebraska
    1. I'd bump the temps a bit, even if only one one end.
    2. I've become a big fan of 'simulate the sun' lighting, heating, and UVB. My recommendation is UVB fluorescent bulbs over the entire length of the tank. If the tank is wide, I'd alternate UVB and 'daylight simulating' bulbs. Similarly, I recommend undertank warmers to radiate warmth upwards, and smaller heaters scattered to provide a more even warming experience. Tech note: Instead of daylight bulbs, regular old-fashioned low wattage incandescents work nicely with fluorescents to make a pretty good 'daylight' simulator. Tech note 2: If possible, turn on the non-UVB bulbs for a few hours a day longer to help simulate sunrise and sunset and save some life on the time-sensitive UVB bulbs.
    3. Once I have even, widespread light/heat/UVB, I would then use plants or other shading items to make sure that the tort has a LOT of places to get out of the light.