Is this light too close?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Funny you said that to him. I did just that a few days ago but I got a T5 HO but put a 10.0 bulb in... if I read correctly I hang it 18”-31” away from my tort. Is this ok? Am I doing it correctly? She seems to LOVE it but I am afraid of it being to close or far away??
The 10.0 would be a guess.
I do own a SOLARMETER, but currently only have T5 5.0 tubes.
My guess would be 18" for a reading of 3-4.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with having so many methods, but I need to pick one because it is frustrating. You have helped me so much I really appreciate it. I will get the meter and maybe I will upgrade to the T5 light too. I have some D3 powder but I will order the mazuri mix , is this the right one, I will purchase now.

View attachment 294556
I don't like the LS for most applications. It doesn't get mushy when you soak it, so smaller tortoises have trouble getting it down. It is also less palatable to most tortoises, but you can switch them on to it in time if you try. I think the LS is good for larger tortoises than can swallow the pieces whole, either wet or dry. For babies and smaller tortoises, I prefer the original type. 5M21 is the correct designation for the original type.

I just want to repeat, I don't think you need to buy a different bulb. I think your current bulb will work fine, and you can use dietary supplements, as well as sunshine in the warmer months to meet the D3/UV needs. I actually think what the breeder is recommending might work better for a secretive hatchling.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Only a UV meter can answer this. Solarmeter 6.5, aka 6.5R.

You need a meter. Everyone who relies on indoor UV in the frozen north needs a meter.

Thank you Tom. I am going online right now to look for one.. I already like this one with Temp/ humidity capabilities but I would rather get your opinion before I purchase.

Attachments

• FD08646F-95A6-4C02-B765-7059595A87AE.png
    FD08646F-95A6-4C02-B765-7059595A87AE.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 12

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom. I am going online right now to look for one.. I already like this one with Temp/ humidity capabilities but I would rather get your opinion before I purchase.
That is the type that I use.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Wait a minute... I got confused.. I DO need a hygrometer but that’s NOT what you are talking about . Sorry ... corona virus has got to me.. ok what you mean is a solometer.
I just looked them up..and .... holy cow!!!
HOW MUCH????!! Wow! ..☹️
Well .... if YOU are telling me I need one.. then I guess I need one... ok.. let me go find my husbands wallet...??

Domm

PA
I don't like the LS for most applications. It doesn't get mushy when you soak it, so smaller tortoises have trouble getting it down. It is also less palatable to most tortoises, but you can switch them on to it in time if you try. I think the LS is good for larger tortoises than can swallow the pieces whole, either wet or dry. For babies and smaller tortoises, I prefer the original type. 5M21 is the correct designation for the original type.

I just want to repeat, I don't think you need to buy a different bulb. I think your current bulb will work fine, and you can use dietary supplements, as well as sunshine in the warmer months to meet the D3/UV needs. I actually think what the breeder is recommending might work better for a secretive hatchling.

Okay I just ordered the one you told me to! A 25lb bag for a little hatchling should last forever lol it’s the only size . And yes I will follow the breeders instructions and see if his methods work , if not I’ll follow a different one .

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I got this one at Home Depot I heard it was supposed to be really good

View attachment 294619
Yes that’s the one.. do you like it?
But that’s just to show the temp/humidity levels.. what Tom is talking about is the actual rays coming out of the light..
Thank you so much for your advice!! I REALLY appreciate it!!?

Domm

PA
Yes that’s the one.. do you like it?
But that’s just to show the temp/humidity levels.. what Tom is talking about is the actual rays coming out of the light..
Thank you so much for your advice!! I REALLY appreciate it!!?

So I didn’t set this meter up yet the baby is coming Tuesday .... but I used it on my Russian and it worked amazing I just propped it up at the bottom of the enclosure . Yes he meant the solar meter the $300 one . I might purchase one but I’m going to see how the hatchling responds to the environment first . I understand needing one but I also know people in my area who have a tortoise thriving for years and don’t use one , they just make sure they keep up on bulb maintenance and change it when they’re supposed to .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I didn’t set this meter up yet the baby is coming Tuesday .... but I used it on my Russian and it worked amazing I just propped it up at the bottom of the enclosure . Yes he meant the solar meter the $300 one . I might purchase one but I’m going to see how the hatchling responds to the environment first . I understand needing one but I also know people in my area who have a tortoise thriving for years and don’t use one , they just make sure they keep up on bulb maintenance and change it when they’re supposed to .
Price is down to $200-250 on them now.

They say to replace bulbs every 6 months. Mine go more than three years and still produce good UV, according to the meter.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Sounds good. Thanks so much for your input . I am great full to all on this site for being sooooooo wise. They really know their stuff.. if they tell me something.. I listen. Only because I learned the hard way before I found them.❤️

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
That was actually a great doodle lol I understood. But now I checked the chart on the box and it looks like 9 inches away isn't bad? But then again I'm not expert in reading this uvb chart . Here is the pic
View attachment 294484
One of the biggest problems is it is not sturdy can easily be knocked onto your tort.
you will be adding at least 2 on of substrate, now you are at 7 in , plus add height of tort 1-2 in as a baby now you are at 5 in.
They sell adjustable light stands not expensive.
This is important for the health and safety of your baby.

Domm

PA
Price is down to $200-250 on them now.

They say to replace bulbs every 6 months. Mine go more than three years and still produce good UV, according to the meter.

I'll keep up on the bulbs but I still might purchase one, you can never be too prepared.

Domm

PA
One of the biggest problems is it is not sturdy can easily be knocked onto your tort.
you will be adding at least 2 on of substrate, now you are at 7 in , plus add height of tort 1-2 in as a baby now you are at 5 in.
They sell adjustable light stands not expensive.
This is important for the health and safety of your baby.

Yes the price is not the issue, this light doesn't have holes or hooks to use on the stands. I have two zoo med metal stands and there is no where to insert it. I think i'm going to Lowes to get supplies. I'm going to make a frame that stands above the enclosure.

You're right , my biggest worry is it falling inside and hurting the little guy.... You think they'd make every light with a hook right.

Domm

PA
Sounds good. Thanks so much for your input . I am great full to all on this site for being sooooooo wise. They really know their stuff.. if they tell me something.. I listen. Only because I learned the hard way before I found them.❤

Oh no :( me too I had a sick russian from Petco that passed away too.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

Hear, hear! Good to see this from a pro. Saves a lot of wasted money and glass in the recycling. However I generally have a spare or two in case.

Last edited:

Domm

PA
Mine were only $30 a piece and they’re metal and adjustable ... not too bad for the quality they are . Now if only the light fixture cooperated

Domm

PA
That is the type that I use.

Tom one more random question I can't find the answer to....... Is sink water okay for the hatchling , to soak in and drink? Should I be using reptisafe water conditioner or the fresh water I drink warmed up for soaks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom one more random question I can't find the answer to....... Is sink water okay for the hatchling , to soak in and drink? Should I be using reptisafe water conditioner or the fresh water I drink warmed up for soaks.
My general rule of thumb has always been that if the tap water is safe for you to drink and bathe in, then its safe for the tortoise. I've never used any type of water conditioner for my tortoises. Tap water and well water for mine.