Is this normal Leopard Hatchling Growth?

ReverendBob

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello all. I am looking for advice as to whether the growth I am seeing on our Leopard "hatchling" is appropriate.

Some quick background before the specific details I am asking about. My wife adopted this Leopard hatchling a bit over two years ago. Frankly, she was unprepared and got a lot of conflicting advice online (much of which is bad). Shelldon basically did not grow for nearly two years; he hovered around 38-41g that entire time. I am thankful he doesn't appear to have suffered any disease during that period.

I stepped in this summer, found this forum, and started implementing changes based primarily on the excellent posts by Tom. I have him in a much larger enclosed-chamber bioactive habitat (cool side/nighttime 80F, basking 95-100F, humidity 50-70%) with slight rolling terrain (coco coir substrate), two available hides, a terracotta shallow water dish inset into the substrate, and a fern to help block sight lines. I grow bermuda grass and clover in his enclosure until he eats it or tramples it, at which point I give it a week or so and reseed when he is soaking.

He eats a steady diet of mazuri, dandelion greens, opuntia, mulberry leaves, escarole, and endive. Two cuttlebones available at all times. Occasional Herptivite vitamin dusting on his food. He gets out to our backyard in a secure area to roam and nibble on grass/weeds about 2 days a week for about 2 hours at a time. He soaks in 85-95F water for 30-40 minutes ~5 days a week.

Since I have implemented these changes, I have seen the growth documented below. I keep a spreadsheet of his weight and I took a picture this morning of the growth-lines on his shell and plastron. I think this is good healthy growth, but I lack experience and want to make sure we have him on the right track. Based on everything I read, his behavior, pooping, eating, energy, etc. all seem to be on track. No signs of illness or disease that I can detect.

I am hopeful we have our tortoise on the right path, but I wanted to seek advice to make sure and to correct anything we need to correct.

I sincerely appreciate your time and any feedback you have.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7530.jpg
    IMG_7530.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7531.jpg
    IMG_7531.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7532.jpg
    IMG_7532.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7533.jpg
    IMG_7533.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
S/he is beautiful.
The care you are now giving sounds right on. I would just try to get a more steady 80% humidity.
A steady growth is always good. The new growth lines are a little wider than I'm used to seeing but that may be due to not growing much in the beginning.

ReverendBob

California
S/he is beautiful.
The care you are now giving sounds right on. I would just try to get a more steady 80% humidity.
A steady growth is always good. The new growth lines are a little wider than I'm used to seeing but that may be due to not growing much in the beginning.
Thank you. We are quite fond of him/her (TBD).

I will endeavor to get the humidity up. While it is closed chamber, I think there are some seams that I could do a better job of sealing to hold in that humidity better.

I have been torn. I am eager to see him grow steadily, but I am now concerned about the very slight bulge at the growth lines separating the lowest scutes from the top of the shell, as well as the fact that the top two scutes (at the apex of the shell) aren't separated by a growth line the way the others are.

Maybe I am looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I want to make sure I am not making him fat or damaging the growth of his shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are on the right track now. 2 years of the wrong conditions has taken a toll though. You should be seeing even growth all around the whole of each scute, but some areas are not showing new growth. We call this "scutes sticking together". I've never had this problem, so I really can't say what to do about it with any first hand experience, but I've seen @Yvonne G recommend cold pressed olive oil applied with a Q-tip all around the scute margins. This may help, and if it doesn't, it won't hurt anything.

The weight gain looks good.

ReverendBob

California
You are on the right track now. 2 years of the wrong conditions has taken a toll though. You should be seeing even growth all around the whole of each scute, but some areas are not showing new growth. We call this "scutes sticking together". I've never had this problem, so I really can't say what to do about it with any first hand experience, but I've seen @Yvonne G recommend cold pressed olive oil applied with a Q-tip all around the scute margins. This may help, and if it doesn't, it won't hurt anything.

The weight gain looks good.
Thank you. That "sticking" was one of my foremost concerns now that we are seeing growth. I will try the olive oil starting with his next soak. I think I will continue to be concerned until he is much bigger, but I am heartened to see positive motion.

Just as a quick follow up: is giving him a mazuri pellet each day appropriate or too much? He seems to enjoy them and I don't want to interrupt his growth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. That "sticking" was one of my foremost concerns now that we are seeing growth. I will try the olive oil starting with his next soak. I think I will continue to be concerned until he is much bigger, but I am heartened to see positive motion.

Just as a quick follow up: is giving him a mazuri pellet each day appropriate or too much? He seems to enjoy them and I don't want to interrupt his growth.
I think one pellet a day is fine. Mazuri does encourage growth and it also makes sure he's getting good nutrition.

Once they get over 50 grams, they usually survive. Its the once that get stuck at around 50 grams and never grow that usually don't make it. At 72 grams, you can breathe easy.