Is this normal or sign of problem? (Updated video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skuttle

5 Year Member
Hi guys here is what im talking about regarding the thread i made with my tortoise having RI. You can see on the last part of the video he opens his mouth a little with sound. What do you think it is? Is it just normal or sign of a problem
? By the way i have given my tortoise 5 shots of oxytetracycline every other day. but he still does it often. Thanks View My Video

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Looks and sounds like he is making the noise with his beak....just what I think....see what some of the others think...but he looks good :D

mikeh

5 Year Member
Think we already went thru this. The sound you hear is lower beak scraping against the upper beak when he closes it. Its normal.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

skuttle

5 Year Member
Thats nice to hear i just want to post the video of what his doing to be sure of what peoples opinion of what they see so i can sleep steadily now that you guys say its normal. But whats the cause my other tortoise i dont see them do that? Its just a habit i guess?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
:D Every tort is an individual...even if same species does not mean that all of the torts are the same.....:D

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The sound is normal as others have indicated. I would question the use of oxytetracycline for the treatment of RI especially in younger tortoises due to its interference with calcium metabolism and the availability of more efficacious treatments.

skuttle

5 Year Member
HLogic said:
The sound is normal as others have indicated. I would question the use of oxytetracycline for the treatment of RI especially in younger tortoises due to its interference with calcium metabolism and the availability of more efficacious treatments.
thanks you mean tetracycline interferes with calcium metabolism right? only when its in his system and when its flushed out his calcium metabolism will be normal again? thanks

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
That is correct on both counts assuming 'normal' dosage and short-term use.

Status
Not open for further replies.