IS THIS NORMAL? (Shell advice)

laurenworgan

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
Hi guys!
I have a Hermann tortoise about 9 years old and have had him for about 4-5 years. He’s never had any health problems so I’m hoping this is nothing bad! I’ve noticed recently that his shell has curved underneath his backside slightly. It wasn’t like this before it has happened recently. Is this normal? Is anyone else’s like this?
He’s acting completely normal, eating, drinking, active, etc.
I’ll attach some pictures (sorry about his backside being on show hahah!)
Thanks in advanced :)

DF106178-093D-4087-9C47-0B2F906EAECA.jpegFF8955C6-0556-4367-A61B-6A8568C1B6BF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
He sounds heathy enough and I could be wrong, but the way the whole carapace curls up, doesn't look normal for a Hermanns.
Look for pics of Hermanns to compare.
If you post some other pics of him from different angles we can see what's going on.
Post some pics of his enclosure too and you'll get help to make sure he has the best home possible.

laurenworgan

Bristol
Hi, thank you for the response!! Here are a few more photos. Sorry they are a bit blurry he moves really fast when he gets ‘roam time’ around the room ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

laurenworgan

Bristol
Hi and welcome,
He sounds heathy enough and I could be wrong, but the way the whole carapace curls up, doesn't look normal for a Hermanns.
Look for pics of Hermanns to compare.
If you post some other pics of him from different angles we can see what's going on.
Post some pics of his enclosure too and you'll get help to make sure he has the best home possible.

Hi I have just posted some more photos but not sure if I replied to them so you could see! Sorry I am new to the forum!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi I have just posted some more photos but not sure if I replied to them so you could see! Sorry I am new to the forum!
I've found them and he doesn't actually look too bad in the new pics - just his rear end.
Does he walk OK? Lifting himself up on all fours?
Try to find some other Hermann pics to compare until another hermanns keeper comes along and have a read of this caresheet which will help you with all aspects of tort keeping.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I think it was just the angle of the first pics that made it look concerning, but to me nothing looks abnormal now with the whole grouping of pictures. Males shells do flare/curve up around the back legs and it’s completely expected for the shell to curl under on males as well. Here’s a website that will show you some pictures and put your mind at ease. https://www.hermannihaven.com/t-hermanni-boettgeri

laurenworgan

Bristol
I've found them and he doesn't actually look too bad in the new pics - just his rear end.
Does he walk OK? Lifting himself up on all fours?
Try to find some other Hermann pics to compare until another hermanns keeper comes along and have a read of this caresheet which will help you with all aspects of tort keeping.

Yep he walks absolutely fine, and literally runs when he sees his food ? so hoping he is okay! And yeah lifts himself up on all fours, he seems strong and he climbs just fine too. Thank you for your help by the way I appreciate it :)

laurenworgan

Bristol
I think it was just the angle of the first pics that made it look concerning, but to me nothing looks abnormal now with the whole grouping of pictures. Males shells do flare/curve up around the back legs and it’s completely expected for the shell to curl under on males as well. Here’s a website that will show you some pictures and put your mind at ease. https://www.hermannihaven.com/t-hermanni-boettgeri
That is such a relief thank you so much for the help and for the link that definitely puts my mind at ease. Thank you again :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The back part of a male tortoise's shell curves under like that to aid during the breeding operation. It helps to hold the "parts" in the right spot.

However, yours does seem a bit extreme. It will be up to you to give him a close inspection frequently to make sure poop isn't becoming stuck in there.

laurenworgan

Bristol
The back part of a male tortoise's shell curves under like that to aid during the breeding operation. It helps to hold the "parts" in the right spot.

However, yours does seem a bit extreme. It will be up to you to give him a close inspection frequently to make sure poop isn't becoming stuck in there.
Ahhh thank you that makes a lot of sense. Yes that’s what I was particularly concerned about, I will keep a close eye on it. Thank you!