Is this substrate too deep for babies?

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
i just moved my 3 month old tortoises to their new temporary habitats which I now know are not adequate but it’s what I have for now. They seem to be having a very hard time walking in the substrate, Zoo Med Eco Earth coconut fiber substrate. I’ve read different things about how deep. This is not even an inch and the first tortoise looks like it’s swimming in it. Any advice?

D5BAE6C0-3503-4037-8A19-1BBBC7BB7364.jpeg

S

SuIcata

i just moved my 3 month old tortoises to their new temporary habitats which I now know are not adequate but it’s what I have for now. They seem to be having a very hard time walking in the substrate, Zoo Med Eco Earth coconut fiber substrate. I’ve read different things about how deep. This is not even an inch and the first tortoise looks like it’s swimming in it. Any advice?
Take more than make it damp this should harden it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dampen it then pat it down with your hand to compress it.

Belfast
Hi Tom, just laying some substrate, about 3” of patted down damp coco fibre topped with a thin layer of fine orchid bark, is that a good depth and the orchid bark has some thin hay like strips about an inch long, easy removable if needed to. How does that all sound? Before I test heat light height. Many thanks