Is this the best I can do for my baby slider turtles?

maverick786us

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus
I am new to turtle world I have a pair of baby turtles, and I bought this tank for them.

IMG_5356.jpg

The boys are enjoying their new home. I provided them basking area, I feed them twice a day, the filter is on 24 X 7, the Ultra Violet light is turned 12-14 hours a day. I clean the tank every week and change water. Like Aquarium Is it possible to have a substrate layer with nitrifying bacteria that will break down ammonia and clean the water for the turtle in a tank like this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Turn the tank around so the cord isn't draped across the water, and try to figure out a way to hang the light so it points straight down. Hang it over the landing dock. gravel would make it pretty hard for you to change/clean the water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The basking light needs to be over the dry dock area.
You can keep their home cleaner by feeding them in a separate container. They do need water to eat though, so be sure to fill the feeding box with water, a heater and let it sit over night before using.
Also, do you realize they get really really big and will need a pond not an aquarium?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Great advice given so far, I would just add 1 x a day feeding not 2 is what I've always done. Also the amount fed is in small amounts, if it is not eaten in 4 hours I remove it.
I say 4 hours due to most babies such as yours get a little shy or scared so I give them plenty of time to eat.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Like Aquarium Is it possible to have a substrate layer with nitrifying bacteria that will break down ammonia and clean the water
absolutely........ you just need familiar with different methods and ways of filtering water..... external filters, undergravel filters....... i've had many external filters that held more water than the tank itself......