Is this UV-A/UV-B tube safe for my torts?

NymTheNoob

I recently got a used 40 gallon tank for my Ball Python, and it came with a bunch of stuff, including this tube:

IMG_20160328_112107258.jpg IMG_20160328_112123323-2.jpg

I'm thinking of using this for my baby Sulcattas, but i wanna be sure its safe for them.
I don't know the brand or specs save what was shown, but I know that it was previouslty used for a bearded dragon if that helps(but the tank was also filled with sand so the person probably didn't know proper husbandry).

If I were to use this it would be approximately 17 inches above the tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You would have to use a meter to check if it is still putting out the beneficial UVB rays. They lose that effect after a few months of use.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You will probably want a new bulb. They same type is fine, but as Yvonne says, they loose the UVB emissions almost totally after about a year of use. Even though the bulb looks just as bright to you, it may not be putting gout any UVB. The fixture is fine, but I would get a t-8 10.0% bulb if you stay with that fixture. Looks like this bulb is a 5.0.

Also, at 17" height even with a NEW bulb you will not be getting enough UVB for your tortoise, though. The T-8 variety seems to need around a 12" hanging height to be most effective. If you wanted to go all new, you could get a T-5 HO 12.0 fixture and bulb. That works great at around 20" height.

Reactions: Tom

NymTheNoob

Thanks for your feedback guys, I didn't kniw there was a meter for this stuff.

Also made me realize my poor guys probably aren't aren't getting enough UV D:
I'd take them out but its been too cold for that here.
Gonna get a new UV tube of proper strength ASAP!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California