Isn't this too much fruit???

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey

Watched this video a few times, the tort seems great but can't stop wondering if he's been given too much fruit?
Hello and good morning,
I watched and yes. I think that is way too much fruit. I know they don’t digest sugar very well and it could destroy their kidneys and may cause uric stones…
I try to explain to people like this :
I LOOOOVVEEE chocolate!!!
Mayonnaise
Cheese
Wine
Cigarettes …etc…

Is it good and healthy for me? No

This is what people like THIS Should know!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hopefully the amount of fruit is not a usual daily thing. That this was to make Tiptoe seem more charming and cute.

Personally, I worry more about his climbing on the person. What happens, if he gets loose and comes across an unsuspecting innocent small toddler, even a frail elderly person.

JackieJax

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Grand Terrace
Hopefully the amount of fruit is not a usual daily thing. That this was to make Tiptoe seem more charming and cute.

Personally, I worry more about his climbing on the person. What happens, if he gets loose and comes across an unsuspecting innocent small toddler, even a frail elderly person.
If a person can't get out of the way from Tiptoe trying to climb on them... I worry more about why the person can't. Tortimer steps on me (I'm pretty positive it's out of spite) but he actively avoids all people that's not me. Hopefully that's the case for Tiptoe.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Wow, there is a serious amount of fruit involved in that video.

Personally, I would never give mine any fruit at all. Zero. I honestly don't understand why anyone would. Tortoises really love some of things that they are allowed to have infrequently. Brussel sprouts, for instance, get my tort pretty excited. There is no reason to essentially feed them poison. And that's what it is to a tortoise. It's not the same as us having junk food.

I don't like this video, in general. I don't feel like a tortoise should be walking on hot sidewalks and asphalt. Or touring the town on foot. Seems kind of for attention seeking to me. I'm sure the tortoise does want to get out of that tiny enclosure they have built for it, so it waits at the gate. Just not enough grass in his life, in my opinion.

His owners need to get a clue from the fact that he's rubbed an entire layer off the house "trying to get in." Nope, he's trying to get OUT. A fine example of humans doing what is cute and pleases them, without taking into consideration what the animal actually needs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, there is a serious amount of fruit involved in that video.

Personally, I would never give mine any fruit at all. Zero. I honestly don't understand why anyone would. Tortoises really love some of things that they are allowed to have infrequently. Brussel sprouts, for instance, get my tort pretty excited. There is no reason to essentially feed them poison. And that's what it is to a tortoise. It's not the same as us having junk food.

I don't like this video, in general. I don't feel like a tortoise should be walking on hot sidewalks and asphalt. Or touring the town on foot. Seems kind of for attention seeking to me. I'm sure the tortoise does want to get out of that tiny enclosure they have built for it, so it waits at the gate. Just not enough grass in his life, in my opinion.

His owners need to get a clue from the fact that he's rubbed an entire layer off the house "trying to get in." Nope, he's trying to get OUT. A fine example of humans doing what is cute and pleases them, without taking into consideration what the animal actually needs.
You put many of my thoughts into words... I'm glad the lady loves her tortoise, but...

-A stucco house wall is not an adequate barrier for a giant species of tortoise.
-That pen is way too small for a sulcata half that size.
-That tortoise does NOT weigh 175.
-Why would that girl put her bottom in a used tortoise pond like that? Ewe... Gross.
-A tortoise that size walking on concrete that much is going to wear its foot scales away, and there will eventually be bloody foot prints.
-Etc...

JackieJax

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Grand Terrace
You put many of my thoughts into words... I'm glad the lady loves her tortoise, but...

-A stucco house wall is not an adequate barrier for a giant species of tortoise.
-That pen is way too small for a sulcata half that size.
-That tortoise does NOT weigh 175.
-Why would that girl put her bottom in a used tortoise pond like that? Ewe... Gross.
-A tortoise that size walking on concrete that much is going to wear its foot scales away, and there will eventually be bloody foot prints.
-Etc...
That!!! I kept wondering if Tiptoe was really 175 lbs. She says he's 19 years old. Tortimer is 52lbs per his last check up at 7 years old. How much do you think Tiptoe weighs?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
so that is the "King" of Torts? Sounds like the title of a John Grisham legal thriller I read a while back - great reading!
Anyway, I hope that poor sulcata gets a wiser owner somehow before the damage is permanent.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Just out of curiosoty. What about watermelon rinds as a snack?

I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but I would never do it. It just makes no sense if you research WHY they are not supposed to have fruit. It's really risky for their immediate health. It could harm them physically so it just isn't something I would ever do. Tortoises are so happy with certain veggies that they can have occasionally without harm. Cucumber is a good replacement for watermelon, in my opinion.

This entire video is just so disappointing as people watching will think these are acceptable conditions for a large Sulcata, or any Sulcata. Reading all the comments on YouTube just proves that. And The Dodo has a gazillion followers on Facebook, where I'm guessing everyone thinks this is just perfect also.

It's extremely irresponsible for them to do this video and put it out there just for hits. I know they do lots of videos on other exotic pets as well. It's hard to say how many of them are also being kept in inadequate conditions.

JackieJax

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Grand Terrace
I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but I would never do it. It just makes no sense if you research WHY they are not supposed to have fruit. It's really risky for their immediate health. It could harm them physically so it just isn't something I would ever do. Tortoises are so happy with certain veggies that they can have occasionally without harm. Cucumber is a good replacement for watermelon, in my opinion.

This entire video is just so disappointing as people watching will think these are acceptable conditions for a large Sulcata, or any Sulcata. Reading all the comments on YouTube just proves that. And The Dodo has a gazillion followers on Facebook, where I'm guessing everyone thinks this is just perfect also.

It's extremely irresponsible for them to do this video and put it out there just for hits. I know they do lots of videos on other exotic pets as well. It's hard to say how many of them are also being kept in inadequate conditions.
In Utah, Evermore has an animal show that includes reptiles. Reptiles they put on display in the dead of winter when the temperature is in no way hot enough for the reptiles they're handling. I've tried to bring it up with management, but of course... the "reptile experts" know best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its due to rampant ignorance. They just don't know. They have love in their heart for their tortoise and don't realize the things they are doing wrong. They've seen other people doing it that way all over YT and FB, so the person telling them they are wrong must be some internet loon that doesn't know what they are talking about. If 1000 people leave nice comments and then somebody like me comes along and tries to help them, who are they going to believe? THAT is the fight I've been living for the last decade.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Its due to rampant ignorance. They just don't know. They have love in their heart for their tortoise and don't realize the things they are doing wrong. They've seen other people doing it that way all over YT and FB, so the person telling them they are wrong must be some internet loon that doesn't know what they are talking about. If 1000 people leave nice comments and then somebody like me comes along and tries to help them, who are they going to believe? THAT is the fight I've been living for the last decade.

I'm totally starting to feel you. Exactly why I declined to comment on that video on YouTube.

I absolutely believe that girl loves her tortoise. I'm positive this going on with other exotic pets as well, but I sure don't want to know about it.

The Dodo is in a really good position to create awareness of proper care for all animals, but I doubt that would be nearly as popular and profitable for them.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
so that is the "King" of Torts? Sounds like the title of a John Grisham legal thriller I read a while back - great reading!
Anyway, I hope that poor sulcata gets a wiser owner somehow before the damage is permanent.
Love a John Grisham

JackieJax

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Grand Terrace
I'm totally starting to feel you. Exactly why I declined to comment on that video on YouTube.

I absolutely believe that girl loves her tortoise. I'm positive this going on with other exotic pets as well, but I sure don't want to know about it.

The Dodo is in a really good position to create awareness of proper care for all animals, but I doubt that would be nearly as popular and profitable for them.
Comment on it and just ignore the hate. That's how I handle youtube videos. And no matter how much a comment gets hate on... there is at least one person that actually listens and learns