ISO third tort

thetortoiselady

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
I know I had posted about rehoming my star but after second thought I just couldn’t get myself to do it. So I’ve decided to order another smart enclosure (making that three) and keep the two and just get a third. They will all be house separately.. but now I’m curious if I shouldn’t get a Burmese or another species. They will all have their own outdoor 8 x 8 enclosure so they won’t have access to each other. I know mixing species is not good but if they don’t have contact with one another is it ok? Do you guys have any recommendations on a species that is personable and may work for my situation? Or should just stick to another Burmese star? TIA!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you could add a different species as long as you are housing them seperate. But there aren't many that can live in a 8x8 as adults.
The Mediterranean species would work or the Pancake

Vancouver bc
I know I had posted about rehoming my star but after second thought I just couldn’t get myself to do it. So I’ve decided to order another smart enclosure (making that three) and keep the two and just get a third. They will all be house separately.. but now I’m curious if I shouldn’t get a Burmese or another species. They will all have their own outdoor 8 x 8 enclosure so they won’t have access to each other. I know mixing species is not good but if they don’t have contact with one another is it ok? Do you guys have any recommendations on a species that is personable and may work for my situation? Or should just stick to another Burmese star? TIA!
If they are the same species and you’re wanting 3 couldn’t you keep them together eventually? If they work out to be the right male to female ratio?

thetortoiselady

ALABAMA
If they are the same species and you’re wanting 3 couldn’t you keep them together eventually? If they work out to be the right male to female ratio?
I thought about that.. but I’d have to wait a few years to find out 🤣 I’m also kind of interested in other species like an Indian star ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes they could be if they were either all females or two females and one male but only if they were of same species

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't really know about the Pancake personality, whether she or not. That's always been said about the Babcocki leopard, the smaller of the leopards and mine is not shy at all. I think a lot of that can be changed with a lot of hands on.

thetortoiselady

ALABAMA
I don't really know about the Pancake personality, whether she or not. That's always been said about the Babcocki leopard, the smaller of the leopards and mine is not shy at all. I think a lot of that can be changed with a lot of hands on.
This might be a silly question but is there a specific breed of leapords that stay smaller? I have always wanted one but they are big.

thetortoiselady

ALABAMA
@Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This might be a silly question but is there a specific breed of leapords that stay smaller? I have always wanted one but they are big.
I wouldn't get a leopard in Alabama. Many people report problems with humidity with them in the south. Not babies in a warm humid closed chamber, but as adults living outside. I suspect temperature is/was likely a factor for the people having issues, but I've heard it enough times to warrant concern.

I thought about a pancake but have heard they are very shy
This is hit or miss. Some are very shy, and other are very outgoing.

I thought about that.. but I’d have to wait a few years to find out 🤣 I’m also kind of interested in other species like an Indian star ?
Indian stars are shy and can be sensitive to their environment. I wouldn't recommend those for you.

Also the two I have no at very different in size
In about a year, they can all live together. Platynota are not combative at all, and different sized ones can live together with no problem, just not a little baby with one that is a year and half old and five or six times its weight. When the little one is a year old or so, then it won't matter as much. Fighting or bullying will be very unlikely.

Also unique to the two star species is that any group of any sex ratio will get along just fine living together as adults or juveniles. You can have all males, all females, two males and a female, or two females and a male, and it will be totally fine. I can't say this about any other species.

Will the 8 x8 per star work ?
This is adequate, but more space and living together as a group, not a pair, is better. These enclosures need more deep shade. Those pots will heat up in direct sun. Check this thread out: