IT HAPPENED TO ME!

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I lost Max :(
i searched everywhere! Got on all fours & checked the neighborhood FIVE times.
Ugh im so upset !
My mom said she would look in the morning to see if he poos up anywhere but im sure he went under the fence and got away.
I checked under all surrounding bushes and trees but nothing :(
I still have Khaleesi but its not the same

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Which one is Max? The Russian? If yes, then get down on hands and knees and start poking your fingers into the dirt around the bases of bushes and corners and places like that. They have a habit of digging down just a few inches into the dirt and it's hard to see where they even were.

They are definitely known escape artists, but they are also very good at hiding inside their enclosure.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Theyre both russians. Max is the smaller one. Ive done the on all fours and looking for possible little holes he could have dug in.
Ive tried standing still to see if i see movement, and looking in his favorite spots (multiple times) and i just dont know where he is. As far as i can see, my moms backyard is the only backyard with abundant weeds/tortoise foods, and good sunlight throughout the day. Im hoping if hes escaped under the fence, he'll know how to come back but i dont think tortoises are that smart

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry, I hope you find him soon. My russian hides near anything like a long fence or a shady patch. Also try looking under leaves. My tort hopped into a leaf pile once. Please keep us updated, I hope you find Max soon!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep looking, but feeling is just as important. They can be right in your sight and you can't see them, that's how good they blend in. Also, look and feel every place. Even the places you don't think he would go. Also do the same a little after the sun comes up in the morning. He will want to warm himself up. Good luck, keep us posted and don't stop looking and feeling.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Talk to all the neighbors. Make sure that they know that you are missing a tortoise so they know where to return him to. I would even ask them if you could look in their yard. People often just glanced around and say "nope don't see him". I hope you find him soon.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Ill be at work at 6am tomorrow so i wont be able to look. My mom said she'll wake up extra early to look and walk the neighborhood.
Shes also cutting the tall grasses in her backyard looking for him.
Ill be making flyers tomorrow at work and distributing them throughout the neighborhood tomorrow.
Ive looked in everyones backyard that doesnt have a fence. Found nothing.
The only other fenced backyard is one that is in the ground and no open spaces so im ruling that out, though they get a flyer as well tomorrow.
My boyfriend keeps telling me we'll get another but i dont want another! I just want my max back.
My little sister also thought she found tortoise poop but it didnt look like it.
Thank you everyone for the support.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
P.s. Have you tried leaving some treats to tempt him out? Thinga that he will find irresistible. ..good luck

surfergirl

Russians usually dig in pretty early too, not like my Hermann he is out until almost dark. Hopefully Max is dug in somewhere in the yard and if you put food out where you usually give him snacks maybe he will show up there after his morning bask. they usually do stay with a routine. best of luck keep, us posted.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Im not sure if he'll know to come back to the fenced yard if hes escaped out if it. I thought about leaving treats but the backyard is literally tortoise heaven. Minus the dock that grows there. Max usually grazes for hours when i take him to my moms backyard.
And also, can anyone thats lost a tortoise let me know if its happened in an open yard, a fenced one or semi-fenced? I just want to know what my chances are of finding him.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Russians usually dig in pretty early too, not like my Hermann he is out until almost dark. Hopefully Max is dug in somewhere in the yard and if you put food out where you usually give him snacks maybe he will show up there after his morning bask. they usually do stay with a routine. best of luck keep, us posted.
Yes they do dig in early. I knew by 7pm, he was probably asleep. Him & Khaleesi sleep super early when i take them outside. They're usually up at 7am and dont bask maybe til 7:30ish. I let my mom know so she can hopefully wake up around then to see

surfergirl

I had my sully escape twice and was very fortunate to get him back. I put out signs around my subdivision and also local roads. He was only 100 yards away both times. He probably is not far if he got away late in the afternoon. we have a forum for our subdivison and that helped. I am not on fb but some local people posted up about the signs and asked everyone on facebook to help me find him. Tomorrow morning is key when the sunrises and temps rise he will be active so he is easier to spot. Oh and mine went under chainlink first time, i had a broken leg was resting and my husband forgot to check on him. Second time he walked right through pig wire. I did not realized he could just break the wire apart and go through.