It has begun....outdoor enclosure build

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
Big news since my last post. Welcome Woody to the family. He's a 5 year old red foot.

We also started working on the night box. Thank goodness for @Tom 's excellent design and whoever did those cad drawings. Top and bottom are done this weekend. Next up the sides!

IMG_0839.JPG IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0863.JPG

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Wow just look at your tools
My husband needs a new tool for every project. Needless to say in 18 years together we've had a lot of projects. This enclosure and box has been a huge undertaking so he got a very nice tablesaw. There has to be something in it for him...and still cheaper than paying someone to build it

Alaskamike

South Florida
I too love these build threads. It is fun to see others inventive ideas. Did to know people care enough to provide great environments.

Reactions: JLM

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Pic from After baths and brunch this morning,

We worked a lot of hours this weekend but I'm not sure we got anywhere...it's starting to feel never ending now. Interior has 2 coats of paint and the heater box is ready for install. Bottom has 3 coats of paint and the treated "risers" we are going to set it on. The turtle door/ramp has been installed..

We didn't have to evacuate for Irma but the temps have dropped so we broke into our evacuation supplies and are sleeping in the "dog room" for the night. Wish the house was done

IMG_1041.JPG IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1045.JPG

Aeva

Madagascar
This is absolutely fantastic ! I wish I had the time and the knowledge to build something lika that ! Your torts are very lucky !

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Cold temps continued this week so we moved them to the bathroom. Easier to heat (smaller) and I could run the shower intermittently to raise humidity. We put them out each morning in the enclosure. This weekend we'll be working double time to get this house done!

IMG_1066.JPG

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
All of it painted inside and out...doors on, flooring down, heater box painted and vinyl on outside. Ready to silicone flooring tomorrow, install heater box, put on the lid....then we'll see what's next.

How long do you let it off gas before housing turtles?

IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1070.JPG IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1076.JPG

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Looks really nice!! We are finishing ours up and I was wondering what kind of primer you used? I'm guessing it's just a plain old exterior primer?

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
It took 2 hired strangers plus my husband to get it into our back yard. @Tom was right this thing is heavy! Be prepared for that. We also had to undo a bit of the enclosure to make it fit in then rebuild around it. This weekend we'll finish with shingles, gas struts on the lid, and then odds and ends.

IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1132.JPG IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1134.JPG IMG_1138.JPG IMG_1145.JPG

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This looks really nice and I can tell you incorporated many of @Tom 's great ideas. Looks like you have it set up as well to house both your torts. Very nice. The only question I have, based on the pix, is why the lid/roof appears to open left to right looking at it's current placement next to your house. (House side = left) i might be confused on what I'm seeing AND I'm sure you have it figured out. It looks great! Looking forward to see the last bits, overhead heating panel?, kane mst?, heater, substrate...and two very happy torts! Again, thanks for the detailed progress reports, and glad u werent impacted by all the hurricane activity.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Because of the overhang of our roof we needed it to open that way to open fully. There will be a radiator inside for heat. A divider wall to separate if needed. Thanks for the comments it's been a long road!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I leave the lid off and carry it into place with the lid off and everything else taken out, then I reassemble all the stuff and put in the heaters once its sitting in place.

I really want to see the details about how you work out the gas struts. I've toyed with this idea, but never done it. Please share the details with us!

Reactions: JLM