Ivermectin

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I just wanted to issue a warning to you new keepers so that you will know that Ivermectin is fatal to turtles and tortoises. So if you worm your dog with Ivermectin and your tortoise eats the dog poop he will most probably die.
I am on another list and a young keeper took her tort to the Vet to be treated for parasites and the Vet used Ivermectin and the tort is now in the process of dying.
I have had a number of turtles and tortoises over the years and I have not ever treated one for parasites. Butternut squash does a good job. Just be careful and use Panacur if you feel you must treat for parasites...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Thank you for the reminder Maggie. This is another reason to have found a qualified tort vet even before you get a tort!

M

Maggie Cummings

I was stunned when Wendy posted that this Vet had prescribed 2 mouthsful of Ivermectin a day for 3 days.
I am most certainly not an expert and even I know that Ivermectin is fatal to turtles and tortoises.
My heart is breaking for Wendy. She says this evening that Lula is in a coma like state. The last she posted they were on the way to another city to a Vet for IV fluid therapy...that is the only hope. There is no antidote for Ivermectin toxosis (sp?)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure, but my gut tells me that even if you gave a tortoise "two mouthfuls of" Panacur every day for three days, you would end up with a mighty sick tortoise too. Besides the Ivermectin being toxic to tortoises, that was just plain old too much to give the tortoise.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This is not only not an exotic vet but a very poor vet. Ivermectin has a toxicity to many species not only shelled ones but also to sheepdogs. My father lost a beautiful sheltie to this drug because the vet gave it for heartworm medicine. The vet should replace the tort and I would also warn other pet owners of this vet. Too bad the there is no malpractice for vets as this is a clear case of such.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Itort said:
This is not only not an exotic vet but a very poor vet. Ivermectin has a toxicity to many species not only shelled ones but also to sheepdogs. My father lost a beautiful sheltie to this drug because the vet gave it for heartworm medicine. The vet should replace the tort and I would also warn other pet owners of this vet. Too bad the there is no malpractice for vets as this is a clear case of such.
There are such thing as vet malpractice. Just get his college number not sure what its called in America) and report him to the veterinary college, The same as a doctor but with vets

baseballturtle48

10 Year Member!
Southern California
maggie3fan said:
I am on another list and a young keeper took her tort to the Vet to be treated for parasites and the Vet used Ivermectin and the tort is now in the process of dying.

I'm on the same list, although I get the digest version. It has been a scary story to follow, and my heart skips a beat whenever I open my most recent digest. It's amazing a tortoise that small has survived this long after such an overdose; flushing her system certainly has had positive results, and I just hope Lulu continues to recover.

M

Maggie Cummings

baseballturtle48 said:
maggie3fan said:

I'm on the same list, although I get the digest version. It has been a scary story to follow, and my heart skips a beat whenever I open my most recent digest. It's amazing a tortoise that small has survived this long after such an overdose; flushing her system certainly has had positive results, and I just hope Lulu continues to recover.

It's Lula...mind telling me who you are? I'm thinking that she has more problems then the Ivermectin...her age and weight aren't the best. Do I know you? I've been on that list for 100 years, thought I knew everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.