Post Panacur treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Hiya peeps, so Panacur treats certain parasites and has been generally safe for torts when following recommended dosages by vets.

So my little man has been treated for parasites previously, as the parasites sorta messed with his digestive system, making him defecate irregularly. (as what I was told by the Doc) I've done X-rays too just in case, all good there.

He's all parasite-free now and I've yet to witness the resumption of frequent/daily defecation. Only been able to induce defecation by means of soaking in warm water. Tried changing the diet, tested with pure mazuri (soaked) diet - didn't work. Also tried Okra, lettuce, french beans - didn't work either.

Is he lacking the good bacteria?
Are the intestines weak from the episode with the parasites?
Hind Gut Fermentation? hehe
Lacteol Forte anyone?

John

5 Year Member
Try more grasses constipation can be caused by to little fiber,to quote Highfield "constipation is likely the result of poor diet managemant"But then again what does he know?Also I may be mistaken but I believe panacur is only effective on worms,and not all three varieties.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
squamata said:
Try more grasses constipation can be caused by to little fiber,to quote Highfield "constipation is likely the result of poor diet managemant"But then again what does he know?Also I may be mistaken but I believe panacur is only effective on worms,and not all three varieties.

I hope the vet was competent enough to spot the different sorts of parasites if at all present in the fecal float and smear done. cos I sure as hell can't. haha.

ALDABRAMAN said:
Try cactus.

i will try that.

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
LOL

Healthy poo.... trouble is where do you get that and KNOW its healthy?

hmmm something else I just thought of....

If you can get zoo-med grassland tortoise food, it has beneficial cultures in it (as I understand) and is loaded with good long stem fiber. Gives my torts really nice, healthy looking scats. Might help too.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I personally do not use panacur as it only does certain worms, Also when my Henri had worms it did nothing, so I now use and give my customers a pill that is for worming dogs, for torts of about 800grams I give half of one.

The pill is MILBEMAX for dogs between 0.5 to 5kilos, the main ingredient being 25mg of PRAZIQUANTEL and 2,5 mg of MILBEMYCIN OXIME,

It works treat and it does all internal parasites,

I just open the tort or reptiles mouth and pop in the pill and wait for it to dissolve, it seems to be a lot less stressful also.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Balboa said:
LOL

Healthy poo.... trouble is where do you get that and KNOW its healthy?

hmmm something else I just thought of....

If you can get zoo-med grassland tortoise food, it has beneficial cultures in it (as I understand) and is loaded with good long stem fiber. Gives my torts really nice, healthy looking scats. Might help too.

Hahaha! I suppose I can't feed him some of my OWN healthy poop.
Ah..hmmm.. Zoomed Grassland tortoise food... probiotics in it.. interesting......... Anyone around here that sells Zoomed? I know coastalsilkworms do not sell them.

Laura said:
Pumpkin is good to use too.. good fiber.. most like it.

Ah yes, I shall put that into my "To Feed" list. Thank you :)

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
It possibly and i say possibly sounds like the panacur didn't work as i know it got to the point where my tort was not passing stools due to the parasites and pretty soon after he was medicated things started flowing, he was also put on probiotics for at least 4 weeks following, i think the probiotics are very important whilst being treated for parasites or even if they are on any type of oral antibiotics. I hope your little one gets better soon.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata was given panacur for pinworms. It took about three weeks after the last dosage for him to become regular again. I found that, in addition to soaking and pumpkin, that exercise helps. Just 20 to 30 minutes outside walking around in the sun would do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.