Jumping Dog

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
How do you teach a SUPER HYPER dog (with springs in her feet) not to jump on me?

I consistently tried each of the following for a week each:

Put out my knee
Turned my back
Hollered STAY DOWN!!!

This week I'm trying the squirt bottle, but she LOVES water.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
How do you teach a SUPER HYPER dog (with springs in her feet) not to jump on me?

I consistently tried each of the following for a week each:

Put out my knee
Turned my back
Hollered STAY DOWN!!!

This week I'm trying the squirt bottle, but she LOVES water.
@Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One week really isn't long enough. You also have to be very constant and as soon as he lifts his feet towards you.
One thing you can try is to catch is feet and hold him up until he gets uncomfortable fights it . Then tell him sternly down and let his feet go.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
food , teach her/him to sit ...... they need a behavior to replace the current behavior ..... she's excited , some of what describe just further excites her ....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
food , teach her/him to sit ...... they need a behavior to replace the current behavior ..... she's excited , some of what describe just further excites her ....
YES! I'm glad you got that part. She's excited! Youthful exuberance! It doesn't help that I find her so darned cute and funny.

I get out of my recliner, she jumps on me. We go out the back door, she jumps on me. We walk from one tortoise yard to the next one, she jumps on me. And not just one jump. All four feet off the ground over and over. I'm starting to think she's not very smart. Once the jumping is out of her system she "badoinks" along in front of me to wherever we're headed, then the jumping begins again. She's about 50lbs now and besides cute and funny it's becoming dangerous (for me).

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
My German shepherd would jump on me, so I would tell him off, and walk away. Then I would wait until he sat, I use hand signals. Then treat. Good luck

Attachments

• 1000012831.jpg
    1000012831.jpg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 1

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i say obedience training will settle her down , help you get her attention , she gets a reaction from you when she does what she does , get her to do something else for a reaction/attention , when she jumps walk away ignore her ....... a ball, toy , food ? distract her with anything gets her attention when you know she's going to jump on you ... dogs are smart , but not that smart , if you can get their attention it's not hard to change the subject.......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All training is two simple, easy to understand concepts:
1. If a behavior is followed by a positive consequence, it is likely to occur again.
2. If a behavior is followed by a negative consequence, it is not likely to occur again.

Implementing these simple concepts in the real world can sometimes be very complex. Figuring out what is positive or negative to a given dog in a given situation is not always easy to figure out.

High drive dogs that are insensitive to correction will often find your "corrections" to be fun, aka: rewarding. Also, some behaviors like barking or pouncing on people are "self-rewarding". We get into that with big cat babies. You have to stop and correct the pounce before it happens. The big kitty is already rewarded for this if you bop them after they've already landed on someone.

For your new dog, using a drag line and giving some well timed leash corrections may work. Sometimes, if you can set it up just right and step on the leash, then the dog's jump up will result in self-correction.

With proper timing and setting the correct levels for the dog and situation, an electric collar might help you. This is often a good option for anyone who lacks the strength and speed of a fit young person, but it has to be used carefully and correctly. I'm getting older and more decrepit with each passing day, but I can still push a button and turn a dial with the best of them.

Another method is when the dog jumps up, grab the feet, squeeze hard and lift up. Don't let go for several seconds. Most dogs will get very upset by this, some will mouth your hands, and some will vocalize their displeasure. Done effectively, I've stopped jumping up in some cases with one instance of this. Just depends on how well you do it, and how negative the dog finds it. In the dog's mind: "When I do "this" bad things happen, so I don't want to do "this" any more." Same as if they stick their nose in fire. Ouch! Ever seen a dog burn itself the same way twice? I never have.

I completely agree with Mark's recommendation of obedience. Basic obedience done correctly will establish who is the leader and who is not. It will give you several "tools" with which to deal with this problem behavior and any other problem behavior that may come up. Properly done obedience establishes the correct working relationship, the correct "understanding" between a person and their dog, and gives the person the ability to correct or avoid almost any problem. The dog physically cannot be in a sit stay and jumping on you at the same time. Impossible. So train a solid sit or down, the correct way, and the dog will never jump on you again. Its called "training an incompatible behavior".

This concept and many and many more helpful concepts can be found in what is now an old book by Karen Pryor called "Don't Shoot The Dog".

If need be Yvonne, I'll take a drive up there and make a hawk hunting day out of it at the same time. You've got my number. Call any time. We can talk it over on the phone too. Happy to help.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It would be worrying for me too at my age to have this happening, and indeed dangerous because of potential serious injury to me. Total obedience to a few simple commands is key. If the dog obeys "Sit" then there you have it, or almost?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Good And Bad. These are the 2 words that will solve your problem. Any good behavior say "good" to her, 25 30 times a day if need be. ANY bad behavior has to be swiftly dealt with....Bad dog or girl your choice. She will get the concept of Love when good and Dicipline when told BAD. These two simple words will make your dog act like a saint...if thats what your looking for. The concept is simple reward good behavior with a strong "Good girl" and let her know every bad behavior is a STERN Bad dog. Won't be a month and you'll have a lap dog with almost perfect behavior. I have used this method with 100% success.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good And Bad. These are the 2 words that will solve your problem. Any good behavior say "good" to her, 25 30 times a day if need be. ANY bad behavior has to be swiftly dealt with....Bad dog or girl your choice. She will get the concept of Love when good and Dicipline when told BAD. These two simple words will make your dog act like a saint...if thats what your looking for. The concept is simple reward good behavior with a strong "Good girl" and let her know every bad behavior is a STERN Bad dog. Won't be a month and you'll have a lap dog with almost perfect behavior. I have used this method with 100% success.
I'll include this with the front feet holding that I initiated yesterday. She HATES that, so I think it's going to work. Already today she doesn't get close enough for me to grab her feet, but she still leaps off the ground in front of me in her youthful exuberence.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i didn't raise gabe, i'm his 3rd home , i got him at 4yrs , when i got him he would rush the door when i came in he'd would jump on me, run into me, knock me off balance , run my other dog over, knock over furniture, knock stuff off tables, straight line to wherever he was going no matter what was in the way , he's 160lbs my other dog is old he could kill her by running her over like he was.......taught him to sit for food , when i came home i'd crack the door and make him sit before i opened it , i'd reward him , ignore him walk to the refrigerator , make him sit again and get him a treat ..... when i come in now like clockwork he runs directly to the kitchen and sits in front of the refrigerator........ by stopping the door behavior it pretty much stopped the other incidences of it , it's way easier to get his attention when he gets like that ......

imo , you need to be careful with punishment as a training method , it absolutely works , improperly applied and it'll have a lot of negative side effects ...... gabe had a life of negative consequences , they didn't work ............

he knows he's not allowed in the turtle pens.....hard to believe 2 homes didn't want this guy, he's nothing but an eager to please sweetheart....
IMG-1165.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think using the grab-the-front-feet method is doing the trick. I just started yesterday and today she hasn't put her feet on me at all. She still jumps up in front of me, all four feet off the ground, but not on me!

She knows 'sit' and I use it when we go out the door or through a gate, and before I put her food down. If I can figure out how to incorporate it into her youthful exuberance, we may be home free. And working a 'sit' will go a long way towards calming her down (hopefully!!).

When my faithful companion, Misty, crossed over the rainbow bridge I knew I had to get another dog for my peace of mind. . . I'm old, live alone, in a semi rural neighborhood, and having a big dog that alerts when something's going on outside is comforting to me. And I've always had dobermans. But this dog is masquerading as a doberman. I think she's really a border collie. I've NEVER had a doberman who's as hyper as this dog! If I had enough energy she'd be great at some sort of agility training.

Thanx to all who offered suggestions. They are very much appreciated. And, Mark, the way you described Gabe's shenanigans fit Spring to a T!