Just a few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
My little one is settling in nicely and I just upgraded him to a larger tote. I just have a few questions/comments on his behavior.

I have been soaking him daily. I normally do this in the morning before I go to work. Is it better to soak in the morning or evening? This morning he slept through his soak. Kept his eyes closed the whole time, unless the water cooled of then he would stare until I added warmer water. Of course as soon as he made a great mess in the water he perked up, lol.

Is it normal for him to just lay and sleep anywhere in the cage? It looks like he just walks along then decides to stop and sleep, all sprawled out haphazardly in any place. Scares me, little thing always looks dead. Seems like he would sleep in one of the huts or at least in a corner or something.

Do hatchlings tip upside down alot? He gets upside down at least once a day, and sometimes he doesnt even try to fix himself, just lays there for a while. I am constanlty checking on him, he will tip over the slightest thing, like a dirt clump. I have smoothed all the clumps out last night so hopefully he will stop doing it.

Sorry for the long post, but this is my first tort hatchling and I am just being cautious. Thanks! Here are a few pics of the new tote.

tort1.jpg

tort2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Sounds like you are a very attentive owner. I don't think the soaking makes a difference, except mornings may be better since it does seem to wake them up. The sleeping thing is common and mine always crack me up when they sleep like that. Definitely looks like they are dead sometimes. I think the fact he sleeps in the open shows he is comfortable and secure in his enclosure. Otherwise he'd find a hiding spot for protection.

Not sure what else you can do for the tipping over problem. That can be scary if he gets stuck upside down. Just do what you can to make it as safe as possible. :)

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Seems fine, some sullies have a lot of extra wonder lust, he may be trying to climb and tip over. They learn how to right themselves though.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
He doesnt seem to be learning how to right himself. He just lays upside down uniil I come get him. Either he is spoiled and knows I will come turn him over, or he is a little slow. :rolleyes:

Either way I am enjoying learning about him and taking care of him

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sometimes they cant right themselves. some die that way.. esp if it occurs under a heat source or hot sunnt day. :-( definately try to find out what he is doing and make changes to prevent.
they do stretch out when they sleep or bask. Do he walk around a lot? does he eat well? What is his diet and his temps in the enclosure?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think they grow out of the rolling over stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.