just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennplank

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
massachussetts
I am a new owner of a Russian tortoise whom I've named Humphrey. I was just curious how long it usually takes for a tortoise to know/recognize their owner? I've only had him for a month or so but he still gets scared by me. Are there things I can do so he isn't frightened over time?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He will warm up to you eventually. Some dont take any time at all to warm up to their owners and sometimes it may take others many months or years. Russians love to eat so it shouldnt take much longer till he's running for you once he sees you. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises are notoriously slow to accept new surroundings. A few months isn't unusual.

You can help by establishing a regular routine so your tort learns that everything is safe.

In the morning use a timer so the lights and heat come on at the same time every day. Before he's warmed up, soak him for a good 20 minutes, then feed him... then leave him completely alone to be brave and explore.

If you are in the room talk to him quietly, but no loud noises or sudden surprises!

If you have children, it can be hard to get them to leave a new pet as fascinating as a tortoise alone, but it is better if they do. Get your tort trusting you and make sure the children are quiet and gentle in his presence. Don't let them to handle him until he is more settled.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Yup, just as everyone else has said just give him some time and try to form a trust. I have had my two Russians for four years; one of them is very friendly and outgoing, while the other is still shy, but getting better. Obviously they aren't friendly like dogs/cats, but it is a different, unique trust that forms which is pretty cool to see.

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I just gotten first Russian a few days ago and he seems to already be pretty comfortable with me. He'll walk right onto my hand most of the time.

Its only been a few days so it could all e a fluke or he's just super friendly but when I'll tweak or clean or adjust his habitat when he's eating. In my mind he's happiest when he eats so I want him to feel happy when he sees me reaching towards or around him. I also lead him to my hand with food and let him eat while in my hand a bit too. I think it just helps him learn my hands/me are good positive things. Could be worth a try with your guy too.

Attachments

• image-3926577632.png
    image-3926577632.png
    967 KB · Views: 3
  • image-1449286432.png
    image-1449286432.png
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.