Just got a Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Just got a Russian Tortoise. His name is Igor and he is very shy. He was friendly when I purchased him, but now he retracts whenever I come around.. put him outside and he was having a great time.. :tort:

I soaked him too and no urates he just kinda sat there.. somebody is a bit shy today! I have a feeling the pet store fed him a commercial diet, how can I get him to eat leafy greens?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
You are off to a great start by getting him busy, soaking and sunshine!! Mixing the commercial stuff with chopped weeds and dark leafy things for a few days or a week is one way to get him used to new flavors textures and smells. Welcome to tfo!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. Agree with above. Best thing to do is to continue offering. Eventually he will try them.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
I set Igor out under the light, he is still scared of me. He hasn't eaten since I got him Friday night. I dug him out and put him under the MVB bulb this morning and he is hanging out there. I put out a mixture of Escarole and Mazuri. Nothing. It's still there.
pan1k said:
I set Igor out under the light, he is still scared of me. He hasn't eaten since I got him Friday night. I dug him out and put him under the MVB bulb this morning and he is hanging out there. I put out a mixture of Escarole and Mazuri. Nothing. It's still there.

He's eating now, but still shy around me. Got him on some Spring Mix.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
It is a very normal response for them to pull into their shell quickly when someone or something enters their space. Give the tort time to get to know and trust you. But keep in mind two things, one, when i say "give it time" i mean months and possibly years. And two, some tortoises will always be more cautious than others. I have one female that will still pull in from me, and i have had her for 15 years. She is just naturally more timid than the rest who come running looking for treats.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
I agree. I just got to keep feeding it and making sure its comfortable.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
While some Russians can be quick to adapt, others can be shy for weeks, sometimes not eat for several weeks. So Igor is doing well. He is smart; he has to make sure his new home is safe and secure.
Be patient. They are really wild animals, not domesticated like dogs or cats. Avoid picking him up too much for now; just for soakings. When you do pick him up, make sure he is well supported, or transport him in a small opaque container or box from place to place.
Keep soaking him every couple of days for a week or so, then 1-2x per week.

Now is a good time to plan on some kind of outdoor enclosure for SUN exposure next summer. Russians love being outside.

tickle

5 Year Member
I just got a Russian also but I had a tort when I was younger but got into a bad accident and had to let a familly take care of him for the 6 months I was hospitalized.I wanted him back but the kids fell in luv with him so I let him stay.it was a 45# sulcata i had for 11 years he now Lives in Fla and has a girlfriend so I'm glad for him.torts are very shy at first if older.how old is he?he is eating so that is a great start just do as the first posters say and leave him be.I found to get them started on greens is to mix as you are doing.they also love to graze on there own find some wheatgrass which they usually have growing allready in petsmart or grocery stores then plant some in his table or enclosiur he will nibble and graze on his own.I only say wheat grass because you can buy it anywhere usually growing in water so its a fast start.if you can get some live dandylion or a hybiscus or Bermuda grass go with that first and plant it.he will be grazing in no time.good luck

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Tortoises sometimes go on hunger strike for a little while after being moved. 2 of my Russians still pout for a few days if I take them anywhere (e.g. to the vet). My little greek tort is a shy eater, she will only eat when nobody is looking. If my back is turned, she'll eat, but as soon as I turn around (even if I'm 8ft away) she will stop!

Give it time. My Timmy still only rarely will eat out of my hand, my Roz is a greedy little pig who will run at me and eat anything I hold out. Boo (my greek tort) is so shy he hides anytime anyone is in the same room. Each tortoise is different.

pan1k said:
pan1k said:

He's eating now, but still shy around me. Got him on some Spring Mix.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
I "hung" out with Igor, got a towel and set him on my lap and watched TV with some greens. He wanted to eat them, but would not. He at least, brought his head out of the shell to smell the greens. Also, I have him in a 50g rubbermaid container, he seems to go to one corner and try to dig his way out, there is no substrate left in that corner, but he keeps at it, should I just put the substrate back in the corner?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Let him settle.. he needs to feel comfortable in his new home.
and yes, put something in the corner..
They are very afraid of being dropped when picked up by large predators... US!
Most get used to it in time, but he needs time to do so.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
russian tortoise boy said:
nice !:D maybe next week he'll be not shy

Well, I got him to take food from my hand. Progress! He was a piggy! He does not like spinach. He is getting less shy.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Glad to hear it! Take your time with him and remember how weird this might be for him. Sounds like he is relaxing.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Now he spends all day trying to escape. Usually this means something is wrong with the enclosure. Temps are good, has enough substrate to burrow, has food, has a hide house and water. Part of me thinks it's the "Wild Caught" inside him, trying to get outside.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
This is very typical of Russians. Mine have an enormous enclosure outside, but still spend time now and then scrabbling at one corner. C'mon, torts!
Remember in the wild, they roam for an acre or more.
Your enclosure might be just fine. As long as there is a 'cool' side of around 70 during the day, and a good basking area of 95F, then you have it set up right.
They will just do this at times.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
Give your tort time to adjust. Make sure his tepatures and lighting are fine. Give him nice dirt, a good hide and great food and water. And leave him alone. He probabley stressed out. I had one that didnt eat untill spring came. Just have patience. You might think its a good idea to "hang out" but it might do more harm then good. Go for the look dont touch approach. Unless you need to, like for a soaking. Also he probably sees you as a hunter rather than a friend. Try not to hoover over his tank. Give him time,space, food and water thats all he needs.

furandscales

5 Year Member
Mine was shy when I first got her. Now she is incredibly friendly! He's probably just nervous of everything new! Put a small but if veggies in with the commercial diet to help get him converted. And don't hold him or be to active around him. It may scare it.

Status
Not open for further replies.