Just got my first African Spurred!

juliaasbury

Location (City and/or State)
Belton, Tx
Hello again!😊

I’ll try and help answer where I can, with some of the technical stuff, people like Alex and Tom are better at, so I’d wait for their input on a few things, but I’ll try go through your updated list🥰

1. The wording on the packaging does confuse me a bit but I think it’s ok, @Alex and the Redfoot will probably be able to answer that
The dome fittings you currently have will work for your basking bulb and a screw in led light(ambient lighting)but I don’t think they’re the right size for a CHE, they look too small and deep but again hopefully the others can help with the right one to get, I believe it the same fitting you have but the largest version
2. That link looks like a good thermostat to me(what your CHE will be plugged into)
3. Yes to maintain humanity you want to keep the bottom layer of substrate nice and damp, pour lukewarm water into the corners, you shouldn’t have to do this too often in a good closed chamber set up, just check your monitors and substrate to do them as and when needed, if the top is getting too dry, mix the substrate around a bit and you can give the top a little spray if you want.
To answer you comment above, substrate can definitely be too damp if your pouring too much water in, if it’s coir, press it down firmly with your hands, there shouldn’t be a bunch of excess water oozing out, you’ll be able to tell if it’s too wet if you’ve created mud basically🥲if you mean too damp as in the top being constantly wet, your species isn’t prone to fungal infections so I wouldn’t worry much about that, but if your keeping the lower layer the right moisture and your monitors are reading well, I’d let the top dry out now n then, no need to spray every day with a topper usually🙂
When you say your saucer is expunging water, is it leaking? It may have a hairline crack you can’t see, might be worth replacing, I’ve seen a few people say they’ve had leaks, but we’ve been fortunate to never have a problem with terracotta saucers from the garden sections🙂
4. The whole enclosure you’re creating is going to be warm and humid, therefore any hide you use will have the same climate in there that you’re creating all over😊some people take a terracotta carefully break it in half making sure the edges aren’t left sharp, or maybe half bury it in the substrate as a hide, you could even take an opaque pvc container, turn it upside down, and cut an entrance hole
5. Yeah always have nice fresh water available, they’ll use it as and when they need, I wouldn’t worry if you don't necessarily see them using it much, they likely are and maybe you didn’t see
6. Yeah this is something that’s always made me a little nervous too so I’ve always looked at sites that grow them for tortoises, like you say though so much more expensive😕and I’ve seen plenty of people say they get the plant, wash the roots off, plant it in their own safe coir and wait 6 months or so to use, perhaps the others can help🙂
7. That is the correct model but if it’s secondhand I wouldn’t trust it tbh, if the reptisun 10.0 is easier/cheaper to get your hands on, along with the reflector hood, that will work fine too👍

To sum up:
The basking light is ok I believe(but we’ll double check)
What you’ve listed as ‘ambient’ would be a very expensive led choice🥲(think of ambient bulbs like our household light bulbs), but the hood of this listing should work for the reptisun 10.0 uv bulb.
That reptisun bulb is a fine uv choice
And that ceramic looks fine

How I’d personally move forward with the equipment, I’d put the basking bulb into one of the domes you already have.
Then for the second dome you have, I’d use for your ambient lighting, the link you included previously that you originally thought was the basking would work as an led ambient light(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B0M9V1A/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20)
Then I’d get the larger version of the dome for your CHE, with the thermostat you included
Then that hood and reptisun bulb for your UV🙂

Yeah I definitely agree having the bulbs on timers, we have ours on timers, most folks do so you’ve got peace of mind they’re getting all the right timings
I believe this is the kind of plug in wall timers you get where you live?(attached)
  1. What if I use these strip lights for ambient lighting? That way I have more space for all the hanging lights!: https://a.co/d/hJ0HCEK
  2. May I ask what the CHE is? I think that’s where I’m getting confused, just what the name means, or which bulb it’s being referred to 😅 I’ll try and use the current ones I have and get more if I need, then replace when I have enough money for the proper sizing; may I ask which size is good for the bulbs or is that something I have to look at myself?
  3. Okay, I’ll keep that in mind! I have been spraying it a little less now. I feel like my current hygrometer’s & thermometers are not correct now and I can’t reply on them too much until my new ones come in 😣
  4. I’ll attach a picture of what the substrate looks like compare to the side without the water dish. You’re probably right and I can grab a new one when I stop by my local nursery! I was just thinking maybe it’s because it’s terra cotta 😂
  5. Alrighty, gotcha!
  6. Is 6 months the minimum I should wait before potting the plants into her enclosure? I was hoping to give her some plants to hide under sooner, but I won’t to stay safe
  7. • Should I do this instead for basking?: Fluker's Incandescent Basking Spotlight Bulbs for Reptiles Tanks, Reptile Heat Lamp Bulbs for Infrared Light, 75-Watt
8. Does the UV rays go through the PVC material or greenhouse topper? Or should I try and create ‘holes’ for lighting?
9. That is correct! I’ve got it added to my cart 😌

Attachments

• IMG_7262.jpeg
    IMG_7262.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

juliaasbury

Belton, Tx
The one you added may well work, I’m just not too familiar with them so perhaps others will chime in, you could technically order 3 of the dial ones lol, but I believe you only need one for your basking and one for uv? Any CHE won’t need to be on a timer because of the thermostat🙂
I’m getting lost in the threads! 😂 I just saw this, does the ambient need to go off at night too?
I was thinking: daytime- 7am to 8pm for UV, ambient, & basking; nighttime- 8pm to 7am for ceramic heat emitter

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
  1. What if I use these strip lights for ambient lighting? That way I have more space for all the hanging lights!: https://a.co/d/hJ0HCEK
  2. May I ask what the CHE is? I think that’s where I’m getting confused, just what the name means, or which bulb it’s being referred to 😅 I’ll try and use the current ones I have and get more if I need, then replace when I have enough money for the proper sizing; may I ask which size is good for the bulbs or is that something I have to look at myself?
  3. Okay, I’ll keep that in mind! I have been spraying it a little less now. I feel like my current hygrometer’s & thermometers are not correct now and I can’t reply on them too much until my new ones come in 😣
  4. I’ll attach a picture of what the substrate looks like compare to the side without the water dish. You’re probably right and I can grab a new one when I stop by my local nursery! I was just thinking maybe it’s because it’s terra cotta 😂
  5. Alrighty, gotcha!
  6. Is 6 months the minimum I should wait before potting the plants into her enclosure? I was hoping to give her some plants to hide under sooner, but I won’t to stay safe
  7. • Should I do this instead for basking?: Fluker's Incandescent Basking Spotlight Bulbs for Reptiles Tanks, Reptile Heat Lamp Bulbs for Infrared Light, 75-Watt
8. Does the UV rays go through the PVC material or greenhouse topper? Or should I try and create ‘holes’ for lighting?
9. That is correct! I’ve got it added to my cart 😌
1. Those may work as some nice decorative lighting but I think the leds Alex suggested will work better🙂
2. The CHE(s) are ceramic heat emitters, they’re a non light emitting heat bulb that will help keep your ambient heat and keep up the night heat, when you say size, do you mean for the dome fitting or wattage?
3. No problem, hopefully you’ll have a more accurate idea with you new monitors
4. Yes it does look like it’s leaking, I’d replace
5.👍
6. Some say 3 months is ok, ask around and see what folks think, I’ve always personally gone with tortoise websites so not 100% sure on store brought, but you can definitely use them once they’re considered good🙂
7. That bulb looks fine to me but I’ll double check with @Alex and the Redfoot

I think for your ambient lighting, go with one like Alex posted on his last response, or yeah that led bulb in one of your domes will work too😊
UV wise, that first one is 14%, you want the 12% in the same model if going with Arcadia, if going with the reptisun, the fitting needs to be the same watt&length as the fitting so it goes in, I don’t believe the hood and bulb match in your links.
With that finale link, that’s the right 12% Arcadia, just make sure it’s a brand new one and not a secondhand listing🙂

8. Uv rays are greatly diminished through any kind of covering, all your lights and heating elements will go inside the enclosure itself under the topper, if the frame is sturdy enough, you can hang your lighting and what not from it using chains so the wire is supported, or make your own stands
9. Got confused which bit this is referencing?
I’m getting lost in the threads! 😂 I just saw this, does the ambient need to go off at night too?
I was thinking: daytime- 7am to 8pm for UV, ambient, & basking; nighttime- 8pm to 7am for ceramic heat emitter
So the ‘ambient heat’ is technically your ceramics and no, they won’t need to go off at night, the thermostat they’ll be plugged into will turn them on/off as needed for you, no need to put them on a timer.
For your uv, you’ll only need it on around 4 hours of the day, we personally have our from noonish till 4, but monitor your torts behaviour and gauge what time they tend to bask to work out when is best to have that come on👍
Your basking and ambient lighting can be on a 12 hour timer, we personally have ours 9am-9pm
Then obviously just have your ceramics plugged into the thermostat on 24/7🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If you mean ambient lighting, that does need to go off yes👍

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Flukers Basking bulb is okay, for UVB order Arcadia Desert 12% ProT5 kit from lightyourreptiles.com.

Place all lights and heating inside the greenhouse top. Cutting holes defeats the purpose of close chamber and UVB doesn't pass through the glass and plastics