Just got six RF eggs!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Allrighty.....Now for myself I gently wash the eggs (with out rotating) to remove any organic matter/dirt to help minimize molds/bugs within the cooker. Good luck and Congrads~:)
JD~

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
Awesome!! That's exciting:)
In about 2-3 weeks you should be able to tell which ones are viable by candelighting them. You'll see a dark shadowy circle forming and then veins:)
Just so you know, it's normal for a few to be viable and the rest not:)
Good luck!

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Do you think the more the female breeds the higher the fertilization rate will be? Because they breed constantly. After she got done laying I found them breeding again! The other female is always running away so I'm not sure if they've actually bred or not.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
We are going to CA in a week. I was worried she'd lay while we were gone. Glad she decided to lay on a Sunday afternoon. I guess she realized it was a "school" night :).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you think the more the female breeds the higher the fertilization rate will be? Because they breed constantly. After she got done laying I found them breeding again! The other female is always running away so I'm not sure if they've actually bred or not.
The female will need a break. My male has five females. This time of year the male may just be a breeding machine. I'd separate them until I had at least a 1 to 3 ratio and the females could take a break.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We are going to CA in a week. I was worried she'd lay while we were gone. Glad she decided to lay on a Sunday afternoon. I guess she realized it was a "school" night :).
My male has been found upside down TWICE this summer because of a female tossing him off of her back rodeo style. I'd also keep them apart while you're away or any time she is trying to lay eggs.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
My male has been found upside down TWICE this summer because of a female tossing him off of her back rodeo style. I'd also keep them apart while you're away or any time she is trying to lay eggs.
I do have a timeout box but it's small. I've been meaning to work on it.