Juvenile Shyness

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Is there a typical age/size when juvenile shyness tends to go away?
I think it depends on the tortoise...just like people are different, animals are too. I mess with my young torts and play with them and that usually stops the shyness...

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I think it depends on the tortoise...just like people are different, animals are too. I mess with my young torts and play with them and that usually stops the shyness...
Thank you. Yes, I was referring specifically to Aldabras.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of the Aldabras I've been around of all ages are more shy than most other common species. I don't know that they grow out of it. Have you seen any bold and outgoing adults?

With most of my other species, I see marked improvement around year 3 or 4.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
All of the Aldabras I've been around of all ages are more shy than most other common species. I don't know that they grow out of it. Have you seen any bold and outgoing adults?

With most of my other species, I see marked improvement around year 3 or 4.
I haven't been around many, unfortunately. The adults that I've seen videos of appear to be relatively outgoing - compared to say a Leopard. I have noticed a change around year 3-4 with other species.

ben awes

5 Year Member
I've had leopards and now aldabras and leopards are much more shy from my experience. they have natural predators, aldabras do not. My 7 year old is pretty outgoing, my 4 year olds are still pretty shy

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
That's good to hear, Ben. My Aldab is about 4 years old now. It sounds it's reasonable to expect her shyness to decrease. How long have you been keeping Aldabs?

ben awes

5 Year Member
That's good to hear, Ben. My Aldab is about 4 years old now. It sounds it's reasonable to expect her shyness to decrease. How long have you been keeping Aldabs?
Got my first aldabra in Sept of 2013. So, not that long, but raised and bred PP Leopards the 10 years before that.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think shyness is their second most useful attribute in surviving to adulthood....

Jamie