Keeping Hermanns together

ELLIE753

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom, West Sussex
Hi I have a Hermann 8-10 years old! I would really love another tort but is it okay to keep them together, I know they don't get lonely and that they don't need company but I would love another but don't want to do anything to upset mine. I know he isn't bothered by other animals as my cat has taken a shine to him and he carries on eating ect when ever she lies down next to him, and he isn't bothered when the dog sniffs around him either!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I guess your tortoise is male. If you have a very large outside enclosure, you could try to add a group (2-3) of females. They might get along, but be prepared to keep them separated if not.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

ELLIE753

in regards to the dog and tort advice my old lab is 14 and the tortoise has been around most of its life. Not incidents to report as yet. Dog is about as harmful as a blade of grass, but thank you. Thank you all so much for the advice on housing together! I will deffo agley be thinking twice about getting another one!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
The Terrible Twos. Not just with toddlers, but sadly, with tortoises.
It sucks but two is just really a sucky number for tortoises together. Unless the two have their own place.
Good thing you asked, because who knew? I certainly did not until I read through all the icky things that happened because of TFO members having two together. And not just bullying physically, but actually psychologically, they can kill one or the other, or both.
1,3,4,5, .... infinity. Just say "No to Two!"

ELLIE753

The Terrible Twos. Not just with toddlers, but sadly, with tortoises.
It sucks but two is just really a sucky number for tortoises together. Unless the two have their own place.
Good thing you asked, because who knew? I certainly did not until I read through all the icky things that happened because of TFO members having two together. And not just bullying physically, but actually psychologically, they can kill one or the other, or both.
1,3,4,5, .... infinity. Just say "No to Two!"
Thank you, that sounds horrible. I will just have to get a group :)