Keeping mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
So how does everyone keep their mazuri fresh? I have read a few posts that stated people freeze it, and I wonder if freezing takes anything away from it?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I just keep it in the original bag, closed tightly at room temperature. I take out what I will use each week and store it in plastic coffee containers with the lids on them and then reclose the bag. But I also go through a 25 lb. bag about every 6-7 weeks so it doesn't really get a chance to get stale.
The manufacturer's suggestion is to store it in a dry, well-ventilated area. I'd add to that, store in an area with a fairly stable temperature to prevent condensation from taking place.

John

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
I just keep it in the original bag, closed tightly at room temperature. I take out what I will use each week and store it in plastic coffee containers with the lids on them and then reclose the bag. But I also go through a 25 lb. bag about every 6-7 weeks so it doesn't really get a chance to get stale.
The manufacturer's suggestion is to store it in a dry, well-ventilated area. I'd add to that, store in an area with a fairly stable temperature to prevent condensation from taking place.

Ha I had two pounds that lasted 5 months, now I bought four pounds so I guess i'll just have to get more tortoises to keep it fresh.lol

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
1. Open top of bag to half-way point.
2. Fill 5 gallon bucket
3. Roll top of bag to close.
4. 2 - 4 days later, fill 5 gallon bucket
5. Dispose of empty bag.

Although I must admit, I have had open bags with the top simply rolled up keep for well over a month. I would be hesitant to freeze it but refrigeration in a sealed container would probably do it no harm. My fridge isn't big enough to keep 4 - 8 bags of Mazuri AND the requisite six-pack, so the Mazuri stays downstairs in the bag...

I know some folks use a plastic 44 - 55 gallon trash can into which they dump a few bags bags. The plastic keeps bugs (which don't seem to be much of a problem) and other critters out; the lid keeps it fresh for the relatively short storage period. I'm sure the same concept with lesser volumes could be done with appropriately sized storage containers.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I portion it into baggies and then freeze it. I only keep out one baggy at a time. I don't use a lot of it, mostly for my box turtles.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I bought (2) bags 10 months ago! I'm nearing the last of the second bag now. I fold it tight every after every use and store it in a plastic trash can...it still smells as fresh as day one.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We bought a large container used to keep charcoal fresh and it almost held the whole 25 pound bag.

IMG00079-20110423-1202.jpg

IMG00077-20110423-1201.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep it in the bag in my pantry. A 25lb bag lasts me about 4 months, and I don't notice it going bad during that time.

I also buy trout chow in a 50lb bag. This I divide up into zip top baggies and put into the freezer.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You Can Freeze it, but i personally dont do that!
I Put Mine In A Zip Lock Bag!

Status
Not open for further replies.