kinixys reproduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
chelonians 12232010 001.JPGHello,
Is anybody getting ova/hatching of this genus?
~Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ben:

That's a beautiful baby. It reminds me an awful lot of the Manouria babies. Is it a Kinyixys?

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
011.JPG011.JPG
emysemys said:
Hi Ben:

That's a beautiful baby. It reminds me an awful lot of the Manouria babies. Is it a Kinyixys?
Yes, first homeana hatchling for me! Eight years and many failed attempts. Named "Hinge" eats turtle pellets in the water. Many of those forest turtles are sharp as babies.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Ben, that's a great accomplishment! Few have ever bred hingebacks in captivity, I'm still waiting for them to appear on the Canadian market.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
tortoises101 said:
Ben, that's a great accomplishment! Few have ever bred hingebacks in captivity, I'm still waiting for them to appear on the Canadian market.

I bought my 1st homeana at a petstore in NE Ohio in 1993. A few months watching this animal decline were ended the day it died. Worms were coming from his mouth,nose and cloaca the last few hours of his life. This was my second tortoise I bought after highschool graduation.
1999 or so a pair came to me. Had a bit more experience w/ chelonians then, breeding RFs consistantly for a few years. They had been captive for many years, copulating, ova deposition ect..Think I had them 6 months then traded them away. 2002 zoo vet sends me large(1.3kg)female"idahoe". I live in SW TN now, nice warm summers, I am up for the challenge, I work at the zoo in the herpetarium , top turtle vet here too at the zoo. Background said sire#28 and dam#44 produced Hinge in 2010. My kinixys started at #1, belliana, spekii, erosa, homeana. So many died even with tx. 36 to be exact. Talk about necropsy/findings in the future

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He's a little cutie!

I haven't hatched out any Homes yet. So far, I seem to find the eggs while cleaning enclosures and either break them or roll them too much and end up not having them survive.:( When I came home at Christmas, as I was cleaning out one group, I found an egg before I destroyed it. So currently have that one sitting there (fingers crossed).

So always curious as to temps and incubation method also the number of days it took yous.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Jacqui said:
He's a little cutie!

I haven't hatched out any Homes yet. So far, I seem to find the eggs while cleaning enclosures and either break them or roll them too much and end up not having them survive.:( When I came home at Christmas, as I was cleaning out one group, I found an egg before I destroyed it. So currently have that one sitting there (fingers crossed).

So always curious as to temps and incubation method also the number of days it took yous.
One can easily palpate ova in kinixys. Low-mid 80sf is very safe. 50/50 vermiculite perlite mix,slightly moist, very slight. I mist ova every other day! 2 pumps of a mister, direct on ova&substrate! has worked 100% for fertile ova of many species, elegans,forstenii,homeana,guttata,spengleri and pani.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My biggest issue currently, is that I don't get a lot of time at home. I am helping my husband get his semi truck lease miles done, then I can go back to being home all the time. For now, it's usually short trips home, where I spend most of my time cleaning enclosures and doing a spoiling on feeding everybody. A couple of times a year I stay home for about 4-6 weeks at a stretch, usually once in the early summer to get tortoises/turtles outside and then in the fall to get them moved back in.

I have in the past had clutches of Bells hatch and have had eggs from the Erosa along with the Homes.

The current egg is going to just be left in a setup enclosure that has no actual tortoises living in it. Sorta letting it be naturally. The person who does my animals while gone, is good, but just not up to daily egg incubation things.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
What is your largest female? I have two that are, quite literally, huge. I'll have to get exact measurements on them. Here is one of them next to my alpha male.

KristinasPictures048.jpg

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Jacqui said:
My biggest issue currently, is that I don't get a lot of time at home. I am helping my husband get his semi truck lease miles done, then I can go back to being home all the time. For now, it's usually short trips home, where I spend most of my time cleaning enclosures and doing a spoiling on feeding everybody. A couple of times a year I stay home for about 4-6 weeks at a stretch, usually once in the early summer to get tortoises/turtles outside and then in the fall to get them moved back in.

I have in the past had clutches of Bells hatch and have had eggs from the Erosa along with the Homes.

The current egg is going to just be left in a setup enclosure that has no actual tortoises living in it. Sorta letting it be naturally. The person who does my animals while gone, is good, but just not up to daily egg incubation things.

I don't doubt that a diapause would be out of the question. Mist them every other day when you will be home for stretch, leave them sit when not. Could have something interesting happen. 344 days on a chilensis

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
kyryah said:
What is your largest female? I have two that are, quite literally, huge. I'll have to get exact measurements on them. Here is one of them next to my alpha male.

KristinasPictures048.jpg
That female is beautiful. Do you keep them together? I keep all of mine on their own most of the time. I got my notes:
Current 1.1 erosa are male#48 is 1.1kg female#49 is 1.3kg
deceased male#9 1.1kg , female#11 1.6kg
Current 2.2 homeana , male#28 .8kg , female#44 1.3kg
#46 and #47 are juveniles.
deceased "Idahoe"1.3kg , "Holly"1.4kg
Do they get much larger? Hear that erosa do.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, I keep them all together as a group. I have two females that size and coloration - they are the largest and oldest individual homeana that I have ever seen. I think they are probably close to the limit of their size, such as it is with tortoises. In other words, they will continue to grow but the rate is literally a snails pace.

From what I understand the erosa are supposed to grow larger than the homeana, but my two big homeana girls are larger even than most of the erosa that I see. I also have seen a lot of homeana/erosa intergrades being sold as pure one or the other.

I am hoping to get a small group of erosa here in a couple of weeks.

Here is my entire group of homeana.

KristinasPictures4127.jpg

I also wrote the article on homeana in the Tortoise and Turtle Articles section - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Home-s-Hingeback-Tortoise

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
kyryah said:
Yes, I keep them all together as a group. I have two females that size and coloration - they are the largest and oldest individual homeana that I have ever seen. I think they are probably close to the limit of their size, such as it is with tortoises. In other words, they will continue to grow but the rate is literally a snails pace.

From what I understand the erosa are supposed to grow larger than the homeana, but my two big homeana girls are larger even than most of the erosa that I see. I also have seen a lot of homeana/erosa intergrades being sold as pure one or the other.

I am hoping to get a small group of erosa here in a couple of weeks.

Here is my entire group of homeana.

KristinasPictures4127.jpg

I also wrote the article on homeana in the Tortoise and Turtle Articles section - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Home-s-Hingeback-Tortoise

Did have a male homeana kill another. Had 2.2 group together for some time, found smaller male dead with wounds behind the skull on the neck. There had been no prior signs of aggresion. They are paired now and the males seem to "stare down" the females. Heosemys spinosa seem to do the same thing. Keep most of my turtles singley. Cistoclemmys,heosemys,geoemyda,impressa, forstenii(25 of those!) and they seems to do better. I keep emys, elongata(together),guttata,elegans, and cuora in groups and they do well. Emys need it!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I'll have emys myself as soon as it is warm enough to ship. I haven't had any trouble with male aggression at all. I keep my Redfoots in a group, and my Russians also.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
kyryah said:
I'll have emys myself as soon as it is warm enough to ship. I haven't had any trouble with male aggression at all. I keep my Redfoots in a group, and my Russians also.

Used to have RF and I kept them together, same with YF. I am just adding my 2cents, sometimes animals change their behavior, with maturity, or some other reason. Certain species generally get on more so than other. When I kept russians the male chewed claws off the female(she was double his size) during rough courtship. Forstenii bloody each others noses, the ladies are just as aggresive as males. Keep in mind that a peaceful group can turn on each other over night.
During my years as a zookeeper in the herpetarium I witnessed the afore mentioned situation many times with many taxa

Attachments

• 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.