large redfoots

Dr-tree

Hi every one my name is Robert and im from Chicago. I have 2 semi large redfoots. the male 12" AND A female 7"
I've had them about 5 years now. The two of them love being out of there enclosure and helping cook dinner almost every night.they walk all around the house And the dogs don't find this odd.life is good. looking forward to talking to you all. Thanks for having me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read all the threads you can. We have a lot of great info here. One subject you will find, is to never let dogs and tortoises be together unsupervised. As much as you think they get along, one day, the torts will become a chew toy. Believe me, we have seen many threads about this subject. The owner thought the same as you, dogs don't care about tortises. Well, then they eventually come back an tell us how their tortoise got chewed or worse by their dog. Another possbile dangerous act for your tortoises, is to let them roam around the house. They need proper lighting, heat and humidity which they will not get roaming the floor in the cold winters of Chicago. I too live in Chicago, the actual city of, not a suburb of.
Searching the forum will bring you to a lot of threads about these two subjects.

Dr-tree

Hello and Welcome:). Please read all the threads you can. We have a lot of great info here. One subject you will find, is to never let dogs and tortoises be together unsupervised. As much as you think they get along, one day, the torts will become a chew toy. Believe me, we have seen many threads about this subject. The owner thought the same as you, dogs don't care about tortises. Well, then they eventually come back an tell us how their tortoise got chewed or worse by their dog. Another possbile dangerous act for your tortoises, is to let them roam around the house. They need proper lighting, heat and humidity which they will not get roaming the floor in the cold winters of Chicago. I too live in Chicago, the actual city of, not a suburb of.
Searching the forum will bring you to a lot of threads about these two subjects.
Thanks for your input .the torts. Dont walk around all day and night they do have there enclosure. In the enclosure they do have a basking light day dulb, heating pad. Dogs dont have uvsupervised. Time with them.they are very well looked after .in the summer they have an out side enclosure. Fresh vegetables growing all aroun it they have there ill call it there hut .also with heet .the enclosure has a 1 1/2 deep stream that thay bask in also a mister that keeps the substrate moist so i would have to say .they live the good life. I also breed bearded dragons. Fresh water stinggray have an incredible reef tank flying squirrels.over 700 varietys of cicichlids. over 125 fish taks. Thats over 4500 gal of water and some other things i really dont want to get in to. But i must say i will never act like i now every thing .I will always except advice to further my knowledge.so on that note i must say im looking for all the in input i can get .thx.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Dr. Tree. Welcome !
I also have Redfoot tortoises and Cichlids. I keep three types of Flowerhorns, A Midas and a calico patterned (pied) Red Devil.
Apparently, great minds think alike!
Another reason for not letting you torts around dogs is the fact that dogs find tortoise poo delicious. Torts will also quickly eat dog poo. Other than being just nasty, there is a real concern with cross contamination of parasites. Most parasites pass of the next generation as eggs in the poop.
........And all the stories about dogs chewing on them and tortoises eating foreign matter and being otherwise harmed while roaming around inside a house.

Tortoise lady

5 Year Member
Thanks for your input .the torts. Dont walk around all day and night they do have there enclosure. In the enclosure they do have a basking light day dulb, heating pad. Dogs dont have uvsupervised. Time with them.they are very well looked after .in the summer they have an out side enclosure. Fresh vegetables growing all aroun it they have there ill call it there hut .also with heet .the enclosure has a 1 1/2 deep stream that thay bask in also a mister that keeps the substrate moist so i would have to say .they live the good life. I also breed bearded dragons. Fresh water stinggray have an incredible reef tank flying squirrels.over 700 varietys of cicichlids. over 125 fish taks. Thats over 4500 gal of water and some other things i really dont want to get in to. But i must say i will never act like i now every thing .I will always except advice to further my knowledge.so on that note i must say im looking for all the in input i can get .thx.
That sound great , if I lived nearer I would ask to have a look . I bred fish for 30yrs with my son , we had 13 tanks running at one time, I no longing have fish now , after my son pass away I lost interest , but still love to see them , so I moved onto my next passion tortoises

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Wow you have your hands full. Welcome to the forum. I had to look up what a cicichlid was. Are they fresh or salt? They are the ones I see when I go to the Aquariums. They are beautiful. 4500 gallons of of fish tanks is incredible. I have 55 gallons and hate it because I made the mistake of putting to Koi in it. Very dirty fish. The fresh water sting ray are really cool also!! I love the red foots. I was looking at some cherry head red foots last night. I think they stay smaller. I would love to see pictures of all your critters!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
cichlids are fresh water. The most colorful are the "Flowerhorn" varieties.
The drawback is only one can live in each tank and each needs a 100 gallon tank!

Dr-tree

Thanks to all.we are in the process of rebuilding our fish room
(My laboratory) lol as soon as it is put back together and when i figure out how to post pics i will be sure to put some up for you all to see. As soon as the 5" of snow from yesterday's storm melts we start buliding the vegetable garden. The new garden will be surrounded by my out door enclosure for my torts. Lots to do.will post pics soon. Thank you all.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome.
Keep in mind that any tortoise having free roam of the house can get into trouble(consuming something that may have a detrimental impact on there gut) and be very cautious with dogs being around them. Too many fatal endings have occurred even with the "sweetest" "calmest" dogs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Robert, and welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to this wonderful forum.
Love the sound of your menagerie.
Glad to know you're willing to learn more, we're all learning something here.
Piccies please.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Looking forward to seeing your pair.I know I always have another tortoise outside enclosure going on, well maybe half a dozen or so. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That sound great , if I lived nearer I would ask to have a look . I bred fish for 30yrs with my son , we had 13 tanks running at one time, I no longing have fish now , after my son pass away I lost interest , but still love to see them , so I moved onto my next passion tortoises
So sorry bout the loss of your son. Sounds like you two shared a great hobby of fish and well other critters too. I always wanted to do sting rays. I have mostly had marine fish, at one time did some cichlids and now just some gold fish and guppies mostly, not quite as exciting as the marine fish I had though. Would live to see pictures of the Rays and other critters when you have time.