Lemon balm?

Vidyogames

Does anyone know if lemon balm is safe for torts? I’m expanding my outdoor pen and i need to know if I should pull up the lemon balm that’s there. Thanks!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Most likely they wont eat it, but if they do it will should not harm them. i have it growing all over the place and many different types of tortoises have had access to it in the past and they never had an interest in eating it more than a taste to see what it was.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just had that question come up in my life 🤣 that herb has planted itself in Sapphire's enclosure cause I have some across the yard 🙃 So I went looking online and who do I find TFO 🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just had that question come up in my life 🤣 that herb has planted itself in Sapphire's enclosure cause I have some across the yard 🙃 So I went looking online and who do I find TFO 🤗
I think I have something to add to this thread that I didn't think of yesterday. Lemon balm is so invasive that it will take over and choke out the good plants you've planted in your enclosure. So get rid of it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would fence it off from the tortoise:

This aromatic herb is not actually toxic to tortoises, but it does contain eugenol (which in high doses can cause liver damage), and there is some evidence that consumption of very large quantities could have an effect on the thyroid gland, so it is best to feed in moderation, and as part of a wider, varied diet