leopard behaviour in a colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
so i currently have three leopards soon too be five,been searchin around for info on how they will behave if housed together all the time.i.e.will one male try too claim dominance,will the males fight.will they exsist in a colony situation without stress or will it be too stressful for them? thanx john

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm no expert, but I have had a few of them. Leopards usually get a long fine in a colony situation. Often even with multiple males. Larger areas and more torts actually helps. In other words you might have trouble with 2 males and one female, but you'd probably be fine with 3 males and 7 females.

John

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I'm no expert, but I have had a few of them. Leopards usually get a long fine in a colony situation. Often even with multiple males. Larger areas and more torts actually helps. In other words you might have trouble with 2 males and one female, but you'd probably be fine with 3 males and 7 females.

I'm liking the get more torts suggestion thanx tom.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Every animal has it's own individual personality but we have never had a problem housing multiple males together. In the past we have had males together with and without females present. They got along fine, no aggression, if anything it's avoidance. I agree with Tom, "the more the merrier".

This is all said assuming the proper enclosure size is used with a few sight blocks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to have two males and four females. They had a pretty large pen, but there were no sight barriers in it. The tortoises all went into the same shed at night. I saw absolutely no aggression on the part of the male tortoises. The females is another story. They have to determine who is going to be top dog, but once that's been established, they get along just fine.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Leopard tortoises typically do well together in groups, but like Arizona Tortoise Compound said every tortoise has it's own personality. I have 2 males and they are always fighting during mating season. I have enough females for both of them but they still go at it. Nothing overly aggressive like sulcatas will fight, but the bigger one always flips over the little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.