Leopard Eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I just found a leopard nest with eggs in it. As soon as I uncovered the first two eggs, I stopped and replaced the dirt because I wasn't sure what was the best course of action. This will be my first time with tortoise eggs, so I wanted to get some opinions before I do anything.

There is a good chance that they are not fertile because the largest male that my female had access to was about 7 1/2" SCL. She is 8 years old and about 13". I did observe them mating several times, so who knows. I want to treat them as if they ARE fertile though, just in case.

I am in the Phoenix, AZ area so it is an option to simply leave them in the ground over winter, but I would like to do whatever would give the the best chance to hatch if they turned out to be fertile. I would love to hear what some of you experienced leopard breeders think! Thanks!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If it were me I would leave them in the ground and put a wire cage over them so if they hatch some bird won't carry them away. But, I have NO experience. I would go by what Neal has to say. He has hatched outside in our area of Arizona. I don't know if Eweezy hatches in the ground or not, but if he does he would be a good source of info as well. Also, ChristyP (TortieLuver) might have some input. She breeds in Tucson.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Alright Jeff!!! That's exciting.

I have had more success leaving the nests in the ground. Others have more success digging the eggs up, so I don't really know what to tell you.

I will say that if I were in your shoes, I would dig them up for curiosity sake. You will be able to tell if the eggs are fertile after about two weeks. She will likely dig more nests, and if so, you could leave those in ground to see which method works out best for you and moving forward, you will have more success in the long run because you know which way of doing things works the best with your tortoises.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks guys. I am pretty excited. If I dig them up, where can I get a good incubator around here Neal? I called the closest feed store, and they sold their last one this morning. :(

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You're in Gilbert right?

Try to find a hovabator or something of high quality. Call AZ Reptile Center, Predators, and Wildside pets to see what type of incubators they have if any. Don't waste your money on the refrigerator types...I don't remember their specific name off the top of my head, but basically they were originally designed as a small car refrigerator and someone had the idea to make them into an incubator. AZ Reptile Center had a few of these last time I was there. I use this type, but I hate them and will not be using it after this season.

Ask if the above places carry incubation medium too if you don't have any. If they don't, I have a ton of vermiculite. I could meet up with you somewhere and give you a bag.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks again Neal! I had already talked to AZ reptile center and they have Hobavators and Reptivators. Then while I was googling, I found that Petco might have Reptivators, and they are quite a bit cheaper. I am on my way out the door now to see if I can find something.

I hatched ball python eggs about 25 years ago, but since then I have just been breeding live bearing animals (which is awesome by the way). I am like a little kid having eggs to deal with again!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
One question for anyone who has successfully hatched eggs in an incubator. Can I just put the eggs in the incubator at 86 - 88 degrees now, or is it best, since they are already in the ground to leave them there in the cooler temperatures for awhile? I have read that a cooling period before incubation may break diapause. I have also read that it is best to collect the eggs before the female buries them, so I am not exactly sure what is the best course of action.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Here are the ten eggs I collected from the nest, with a ping pong ball for size perspective.

2CCAE24C-0690-4E12-87D5-454B3CE07E61-545-000002E19DECB186.jpg

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They look so tiny :cool:, Did you end up buying the Reptibator or the Hovabator?

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I got the Reptibator. It is set up and running, although the eggs are not in it yet. I have heard some complaints about the temperature being off on this incubator, which blows me away. Of course the temperature where the sensor on the incubator is doesn't show the same temperature as what is inside the egg container. They are two totally different locations. I have the incubator set at 91 degrees, and the surface temperature of the vermiculite inside my "test" container has been consistently 85 for about 24 hours now. The humidity has been 80-85% the whole time too. I think this incubator is going to work very well. I am planning to keep the eggs at room temperature for about 30 days before putting them in though.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
JeffG said:
I got the Reptibator. It is set up and running, although the eggs are not in it yet. I have heard some complaints about the temperature being off on this incubator, which blows me away. Of course the temperature where the sensor on the incubator is doesn't show the same temperature as what is inside the egg container. They are two totally different locations. I have the incubator set at 91 degrees, and the surface temperature of the vermiculite inside my "test" container has been consistently 85 for about 24 hours now. The humidity has been 80-85% the whole time too. I think this incubator is going to work very well. I am planning to keep the eggs at room temperature for about 30 days before putting them in though.

Good to know. What is the reason you are holding the eggs at room temp for 30 days? Is that diapause? I've never really known what temp would be used to diapause.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, I have heard from a few different breeders that they have more success if they keep the eggs cool for 30 days before incubating them at the normal temps. It is most likely because the cooler temperatures break the diapause. I am just starting to figure this stuff out. I may be totally wrong, but how else can you learn?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Exactly!! It is so great that there are good breeders on here to ask. Good luck with your eggs. Sure hope they are fertile and will hatch for you.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Congratulations! I hope everything goes well for you.

cesktw0

5 Year Member
Great news! I hope to one day far in the future breed leopards, congratulations, I hope they all hatch and become healthy little leos.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
JeffG said:

Is this the small refrigerator type with the glass front? If so, my concern is that the temperature at the top could be as much as 8 degrees more than the temperature on the bottom. If you only have a few eggs that you can set right in the middle, than it works really well, but if you're incubating a lot of eggs, that 8 degree differential could mean death for the ones on top and no development for the ones on the bottom.

10 eggs is very good! How big is your female?

Status
Not open for further replies.