Leopard Tortoise Eggs

Allison M.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
El Cajon Ca
I took in a leopard as a foster a couple of mos ago. About 2 weeks ago she laid 12 eggs in my yard. I got them into my incubator at 86* the same day. She came to us along with a sulcata. Don’t know much more than that. I did some research on how to take care of them but I didn’t find how long before you know they are fertile. I’ve seen the Utube videos on candling and chalking but it doesn’t say how long before chalking happens and when to do candling. Anyone know? TIA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm curious to know if the sulcata was the male that fertilized the eggs??? Please keep us in the loop. There are many on here who are interested in the leopard/sulcata cross.

My eggs chalk within a day or two, and I THINK the veins start to show at around 2 weeks??? I don't candle mine, so I'm not sure about that.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
12 eggs is quite a few, most of my clutches are 8 or so. As Yvonne said, they will start chalking in few days, however even infertile eggs will chalk. Wait about 2 weeks or more and then use a flashlight against the eggs. If they are infertile, they will glow clear. If something is happening, they will appear darker. sometimes you can actually see veins and stuff, but I never have. If in doubt, keep them in there. at 86 degrees, you should have hatching start around 100 days or so.