Leopard Hatchling feeding patterns

lukarw

Location (City and/or State)
barcelona
Hi there,

I am new here and I was wondering how shall I feed my 3 months old baby tortoise.

I give him a bath in the morning and later put him into enclosure to feed him.

He always get more food then he can eat and goes to sleep and later he returns to eat again: sleep , eat repeat pattern.

I was wondering if this is good or shall I feed him once per day and once he is full and goes to sleep I shall take the rest of the grass/food and feed him again only next morning?

I heard so people feed tortoise once every 2 days - not sure if this was regarding hatchlings.

so how you guys do it with the baby tortoise, food shall be available all the long or not?

:):tort:

thanks for the answer!

Luka

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are grazers. They should be able to graze on the right foods all day long whenever they want.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I put out a big pile of food in the a.m. If there was food left over by the time I turn off the lights in the evening, I know I've given him enough. If it's all gone and cleaned up, I know I didn't put down enough food. Even towards the end of the day, when the food has turned crisp, they still come out and nibble on the left overs. Baby tortoises should eat every day.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Wild tortoises don’t eat a meal in the morning and then stop for the rest of the day. They hustle around all day nipping at whatever they can find. Sometimes they don’t find as much to eat as other days but that doesn’t mean they want to or should skip a day.

Your tortoise is doing exactly what a baby tortoise should be doing: eating and sleeping. A human baby does the same thing, pretty much all babies do. :)