Leopard help please

RoberttheLeopardTortoise

Today is my birthday!
Hi I'm the new owner of a lovely little leo who is 1yr old. I am not sure how much Robert should be eating he tends to just nibble on the odd leaf each day. He also spends most of his time in his hide asleep is this normal? We've had him for 2 weeks now..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We need more info.

Where did you get him and how was he started? Dry routine?

How are you housing him?

How are you heating and lighting him? UV? What type?

Soaking daily?

What are your four temperature? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

RoberttheLeopardTortoise

Today is my birthday!
Thanks for the guidance... I'm in the UK and got him from a reputable breeder apparently he was brought up on greens? He lives indoors full time on a tortoise table the temperature is 22/23 degrees in the room 19/20 degrees overnight but he also has a 100w heat, light & uv lamp at 28/30 degrees that is permanently on.

I wasn't soaking him every day but have done for the past 3 days from searching google for advice warm water 15mins each morning.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
Jane

RoberttheLeopardTortoise

Today is my birthday!
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Please read these threads:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/

...make the necessary adjustments to your care and the tortoise's habitat, then see if you see an improvement in him, bearing in mind that baby tortoises are prey and they do stay hidden a lot.
Thank you Yvonne I'll take a look for tips...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your baby isn't warm enough. You should not allow the habitat to drop below 78F degrees at any time. I keep my babies' habitat from 80 to 85F all the time

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from another Brit.

Please read the care sheets that Yvonne posted. They give you the most accurate information on the care of your Leopard Tort. There's a lot of misinformation around and unfortunately even the breeders don't always get it right.

Please post some pictures of your tort and his enclosure. We love pictures anyway, but it will also help us to help you to get everything right for your new friend.

I always recommend getting into a routine with a new tortoise as they can be very slow to adapt to change.

Have your lights on a timer so they come on and go off at the same time each day.
Soak your tort for a good 20 minutes in warm water first thing before he's warmed up properly.
While he's soaking, clean up the enclosure and put food in.
Finally, pop your tort back and walk away.
Leave him to explore and be brave without being watched by a big scary human. He'll soon start to realise that you are the one who provides food and change his opinion and then you can watch :)

RoberttheLeopardTortoise

Today is my birthday!
Hello and welcome from another Brit.

Please read the care sheets that Yvonne posted. They give you the most accurate information on the care of your Leopard Tort. There's a lot of misinformation around and unfortunately even the breeders don't always get it right.

Please post some pictures of your tort and his enclosure. We love pictures anyway, but it will also help us to help you to get everything right for your new friend.

I always recommend getting into a routine with a new tortoise as they can be very slow to adapt to change.

Have your lights on a timer so they come on and go off at the same time each day.
Soak your tort for a good 20 minutes in warm water first thing before he's warmed up properly.
While he's soaking, clean up the enclosure and put food in.
Finally, pop your tort back and walk away.
Leave him to explore and be brave without being watched by a big scary human. He'll soon start to realise that you are the one who provides food and change his opinion and then you can watch :)

Thanks I will do here are a pic of his house plus my kitchen ceiling he gets lots of sunlight so you can see if I'm doing the best for him..

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Some changes are needed.

You need to get a good thermometer and measure the 4 important temperatures: Warm side, Cool Side, Directly under the basking lamp and the overnight minimum. If these temperatures are wrong then your tortoise will not be active and healthy. A temperature gun is best; they're inexpensive from Amazon.

Rabbit pellets are not good substrate. They are far too dry. If you see the threads Yvonne has posted (plus this Beginner Mistakes one http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/), you'll see that your tortoise needs warm humidity to grow a healthy shell and avoid pyramidding. Orchid bark or coco coir make substrate. You can tip water in and get it damp so the humidity is raised.

Ultra violet light does not pass through glass, so your tort needs a UVB lamp in its enclosure as well as a basking lamp. UVB is essential for your tort to make Vitamin D3 which helps it process the calcium for it to have a healthy bones and shell. Basking is essential for activity and also for digesting food.

There are two ways of giving the heat and UVB your tort needs indoors:

1. Buy a Mercury Vapour Bulb which combines both UVB and basking lamp in one bulb. It's more expensive, but it lasts approximately 12 months.

2. Buy a Basking bulb (like a household reflector lamp) and have a separate tube UVB lamp (cheaper, but only lasts 6 months) - an MVB usually works out cheaper in the long run

Option 3. cannot be considered. There are compact UVB bulbs on sale that look like low-energy lightbulbs. These harm tort's eyes and are not suitable and therefore must not be used.

In either case 1 or 2, the bulb must hand down vertically over the substrate to give an intense patch of basking heat.(See important temperatures above)

Food is best served on a flat stone, slate or tile. The abrasion when eating helps to stop the beak overgrowing.

Water is best put in a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate. The pet shop bowls you have have a bad reputation for tipping small tortoises and leaving them stranded resulting in death. We don't recommend them.

Sorry if this all sounds negative, but your chum is going to be with you for the next 50+ years and you need to get things right straight away :)

RoberttheLeopardTortoise

Today is my birthday!
Some changes are needed.

You need to get a good thermometer and measure the 4 important temperatures: Warm side, Cool Side, Directly under the basking lamp and the overnight minimum. If these temperatures are wrong then your tortoise will not be active and healthy. A temperature gun is best; they're inexpensive from Amazon.

Rabbit pellets are not good substrate. They are far too dry. If you see the threads Yvonne has posted (plus this Beginner Mistakes one http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/), you'll see that your tortoise needs warm humidity to grow a healthy shell and avoid pyramidding. Orchid bark or coco coir make substrate. You can tip water in and get it damp so the humidity is raised.

Ultra violet light does not pass through glass, so your tort needs a UVB lamp in its enclosure as well as a basking lamp. UVB is essential for your tort to make Vitamin D3 which helps it process the calcium for it to have a healthy bones and shell. Basking is essential for activity and also for digesting food.

There are two ways of giving the heat and UVB your tort needs indoors:

1. Buy a Mercury Vapour Bulb which combines both UVB and basking lamp in one bulb. It's more expensive, but it lasts approximately 12 months.

2. Buy a Basking bulb (like a household reflector lamp) and have a separate tube UVB lamp (cheaper, but only lasts 6 months) - an MVB usually works out cheaper in the long run

Option 3. cannot be considered. There are compact UVB bulbs on sale that look like low-energy lightbulbs. These harm tort's eyes and are not suitable and therefore must not be used.

In either case 1 or 2, the bulb must hand down vertically over the substrate to give an intense patch of basking heat.(See important temperatures above)

Food is best served on a flat stone, slate or tile. The abrasion when eating helps to stop the beak overgrowing.

Water is best put in a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate. The pet shop bowls you have have a bad reputation for tipping small tortoises and leaving them stranded resulting in death. We don't recommend them.

Sorry if this all sounds negative, but your chum is going to be with you for the next 50+ years and you need to get things right straight away :)
Thanks Joes Mum that's really helpful advice I'll make the necessary changes to his substrate and also food/drink utensils. His lamp is a 100w basking lamp that is 3in1 heat,light & UV. He also has a small heat mat in his hide (under glass) - please feel free to recommend anything further.

Ps. Is the hay ok to have in his hide I was hoping it would give him extra warmth & comfort - your advice would be welcome on this too please...

Much Appreciated
Jane

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We don't recommend a heat mat because a tort likes to dig down into the substrate. Combine that with high humidity and you have an electrocution risk for both your tort and you.

Hay goes mouldy in the humidity and again isn't recommended. Take a look in the enclosures forum. There are some brilliant ideas in there for providing shelter and warmth.