Leopard just bit itself! HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
My leopard tortoise just went into its shell and bit it's skin. He is a baby but he's really been trying to eat a lot of things. I feed him lettuce but something's he will just bite on rocks! I'm really worried please help!!

abclements

5 Year Member
Did he take a chunk out of himself? If he actually broke skin, I would put a little neosporin on the wound and keep an eye on it. If he didn't do any damage, he probably learned the easy way that he shouldn't try to eat himself lol

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Pennsylvania
abclements said:
Did he take a chunk out of himself? If he actually broke skin, I would put a little neosporin on the wound and keep an eye on it. If he didn't do any damage, he probably learned the easy way that he shouldn't try to eat himself lol

Ok thank you no he did not but right after he bit there I noticed that around his neck there has been some shedding. And I read in an article that tortoises sometimes do that to get rid of shedding or dead skin. Then while I was reading that he but his arm and there was shedding there too so I think he's ok.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can aid in shedding relief by spritzing with water and or offering up additional warm water soaks until he seems to have worked it out to a comfortable state...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mitchell:

I think you would benefit from reading the "Important Threads" at the top of the Leopard Tortoise section.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
These little guys are just learning what to eat and what not to eat. I see my hatchlings bite all sorts of stuff including themselves sometimes. As long as he didn't break skin, he'll be fine.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Mine bites his arms when he has an itch. He also accidently bites his arms when he's eating sometimes. And occasionally you may see them go into their shell and wipe the food off their face with their arms. Quite cute actually :)

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: RE: Leopard just bit itself! HELP!!!!

Team Gomberg said:
LeopardTortLover said:
Mine bites his arms when he has an itch.

How do you know this?

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

I'm assuming this is the reason he does it as it can't be anything else. Sometimes he'll just be lying there with his arms out and he'll reach over and nip one - on purpose, once or twice, and then stop and relax. He hardly ever does it I've only seen it a couple of times.
I've checked him over afterwards to make sure he's okay and there's no lice or tics or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.