Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahernandez1990

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cypress, CA
What kind of fresh grass should I give my tortoise? Im getting one for the first time and want everything ready for when I get him/her in a few weeks

Ahernandez1990

5 Year Member
Cypress, CA
What all do i need for my tortoise?

I will be getting a little Hatchling Leopard Tortoise for the first time and am very excited. I want to make sure that i get everything he/she will need i am wanting to grow my own grass and flowers for him/her to eat because i have read that its better. Is it? Im trying to do all the reading about them as i can i want to have knowledge and everything ready before i get him/her. Thanks! :)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
RE: What all do i need for my tortoise?

There are several threads on leopard care on here, so first thing to do is search and read them all because that is a ton of information. There is just so much good information that I cannot do justice by trying to repeat it all here. Then you have to decide on an enclosure, lighting and food. Most of those answers should be found in the threads. If you still have questions then ask away and we'll help answer them. :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

Bermuda is probably some of the best and most available fresh grass. Timothy, Alfalfa, and orchard grass are also really good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: [split] Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

Hi AHernandez1990:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

I'm sure you will find the answers to your question just by looking through our section on African tortoises. What you see under the Sulcata section can also be used for leopard tortoises.

If you have specific questions after you done your reading, we're happy to answer them.

Ahernandez1990

5 Year Member
Cypress, CA
RE: [split] Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

emysemys said:
Hi AHernandez1990:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

I'm sure you will find the answers to your question just by looking through our section on African tortoises. What you see under the Sulcata section can also be used for leopard tortoises.

If you have specific questions after you done your reading, we're happy to answer them.

Hi you can call me Ariana I'm from Cypress California while doing my reading ive read about various different substrates being used i was told to use coconut fiber bedding is that ok to use? They need a daytime and night time bulb right? i have a uvb already im ordering a tank from the reptile store i go to for my other reptiles. I've been reading about them like crazy. I will be ordering the grass seeds from a website i saw where everybody else gets them from i cant think of the name at the moment. I just want to make sure i feed the lil one all the right thinks i read that they can have Kale and Collard greens i get that weekly for my bearded dragons so i will be giving my tortoise that. I'm getting the lil guy in 2 weeks im nervous & excited at the same time.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hey Ariana i also live in Cypress CA. I have two baby Leopards Stella and Ruby and have figured everything out from this forum and almost a year of caring for mine through trial and error. To answer one of your questions about lighting, no they so not need day AND night lights. They just need 12 hours of UVB lighting which is most easily connected to a timer to turn off at night, and 24/7 heat from ceramic heat emitters work best. Any questions feel free to message me.

Ahernandez1990

5 Year Member
Cypress, CA
Hallbomber said:
Hey Ariana i also live in Cypress CA. I have two baby Leopards Stella and Ruby and have figured everything out from this forum and almost a year of caring for mine through trial and error. To answer one of your questions about lighting, no they so not need day AND night lights. They just need 12 hours of UVB lighting which is most easily connected to a timer to turn off at night, and 24/7 heat from ceramic heat emitters work best. Any questions feel free to message me.

Thank you! I will be sure to get those. Where did you get your tortoises from if i may ask?

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
I saved both of my torts from a very small pet store called Reptile Outlet on Cerritos Ave. just west of Beach blvd. As most pet stores, the conditons were very poor specific to the needs of the young Leopards and Sulcatas they were selling. I only bought one, (Stella) and then went back months later and couldnt resist rescuing Ruby who was alone in the store. I was told Stella came from Tortuga Villa breeder in Orange County, and that Ruby was shipped from a breeder in Florida.

Ahernandez1990

5 Year Member
Cypress, CA
Hallbomber said:
I saved both of my torts from a very small pet store called Reptile Outlet on Cerritos Ave. just west of Beach blvd. As most pet stores, the conditons were very poor specific to the needs of the young Leopards and Sulcatas they were selling. I only bought one, (Stella) and then went back months later and couldnt resist rescuing Ruby who was alone in the store. I was told Stella came from Tortuga Villa breeder in Orange County, and that Ruby was shipped from a breeder in Florida.
Oh ok! i go their to get food for my snakes and bearded dragons. I have been eye balling the ones that they have. I was going to get one from craigslist but i decided not to i would rather get it from a breader who i know is doing everything right because the person i talked to from craigslist isn't using a UV for them so it kind of worries me

Status
Not open for further replies.