leopard tortoise keeps trying to escape

Noodles1210

Location (City and/or State)
western pennsylvania
my two year old male leopard tortoise keeps trying to escape the outdoor enclosure i built him. it’s got plenty of room and lots of grass to munch on, yet everyday when i bring him out, he just paces the walls of the enclosure. sometimes he even climbs on his sister to try and get over. is there anything i should be worried about, or is he just an escape artist.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If this is something new, my guess would be that he's trying to find his way back to his territory (his indoor habitat???). Just give him time. He'll eventually find it safe to live there and stop trying to escape. Make sure he has plenty of hiding places and shade from the sun.

Noodles1210

western pennsylvania
If this is something new, my guess would be that he's trying to find his way back to his territory (his indoor habitat???). Just give him time. He'll eventually find it safe to live there and stop trying to escape. Make sure he has plenty of hiding places and shade from the sun.
thanks for the help

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And then again he might just be pacing cuz that's what he's going too do.
One of my leopards will pace up and down the fence line. He will then go about his business graze, lay under the shade, go inside his shed and then come back out to pace some more.
You can help stop it by blocking him from seeing the other side of the fence if he can. Otherwise like Yvonne said, he'll get used too it but will probably always do some pacing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size enclosure? What sort of cover and hides are available? Is it just two? A pic of the enclosure would be very helpful.

Also, where are you? What are the ambient temps and humidity outdoors. USA isn't very helpful. Different advice for Tuscon vs. Tacoma.