Leopard Tortoise Winter Housing

Tinaturner

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
all depends on your winter climate. First, leopards don't hibernate, so not an option. They also generally don't like temps below 60 and sunny, so if your temps drop below that then you need a plan. You can build a winter house with a heater, or house them in the garage which is what I do. How much effort and expense do you want to put into this?
If I house my leopard tortoise in the garage, as you do, what would I need to keep it warm? I’m in southern Ca but it’s been 40 outside and maybe 50 in my garage.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If I house my leopard tortoise in the garage, as you do, what would I need to keep it warm? I’m in southern Ca but it’s been 40 outside and maybe 50 in my garage.
How big is your leopard tortoise? If it is still under 6lbs, you may be better off making an indoor enclosure for the winter.
If it is bigger, you can frame out an area and attach insulation all around, including the top (the styrofoam board kind is easy to work with, the thicker the better!). Then you can get one of those oil filled radiant heaters to keep ambient temps at 80+. And of course you'll need a basking spot, so hanging a basking lamp at the correct to have 100°F at shell height.

I've seen people use moving blankets and other things to create a warm tent, but I'd be nervous about them drooping and causing a fire hazard.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will have to build an enclosure within the garage including a floor. All should be insulated and then you will need to heat it with a portable radiator heater. Also need to add uvb and basking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you the REAL Tina Turner? I've been in love with Tina since Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

What part of SoCal are you in? Different advice for Manhattan Beach vs Palm Springs...

If it is an adult, you can build it a heated night box. I'm in SCV and it occasionally drops into the high 20s every once in a while like last night and tonight. These boxes maintain 80 with no problem: