Less of an appetite caused by the cold?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All three of my RF are eating a varied diet now. (Thank GOD.) However, all three are eating a lot less. Recently, the temps have changed here. It is in the low 70s at night and low 80s during the day. This is a drop of about 10 degrees. Is this considered normal. Yesterday was: cactus pads and cactus pears with Hibiscus. It should have been GONE, yet it was only about 1/3 eaten from my three active pens. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of people have been posting about their torts slow down. Just make sure you double check,the temps. When the temps get cold outside, sometimes heating has to be adjusted, even when the torts are housed inside.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Glad to hear your picky eater is on the right stuff now. My reds are kept indoors so I have not noticed Andy slowing but there are a few days where they just don't eat as much as the usually do. About every 4 or 5 days they just nibble, even if it's there favorite. I don't worry about that. The food is there if they want it. If they go a few days like this bumps the temps a bit.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
They'll have company ;):rolleyes:! if it was low 80s here today, (it's 50) I would not put my russian out, because I have been helpfully told they need a temp of 85 or higher to digest food... so he could easily develop a lack of appetite in the 'chilly.'
Your torts are probably just feeling a little cold :)